one

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

After the death of Tony Stark, Pepper Potts-Stark decided to welcome all people with special abilities into the Avengers Compound in hopes of them bettering themselves and serving a greater purpose. The first generation Avengers were her husband's family, and he died to save not only them but the whole universe.

She had stayed strong for him in the few moments before his death but ultimately grieved him afterward. However, she didn't have much time to grieve. She had a daughter, a company, and now the new Avengers Initiative to put into effect.

Bucky Barnes, the White Wolf, was tired of fighting and killing. He couldn't eat a pomegranate without picturing the red substance as the blood of the people he killed on his hands. If he closed his eyes, he could imagine the sweet scent of a pomegranate mixed with the metallic tang of blood. Occasionally, he would hold in his bile. Usually, he would puke.

But with Natasha Romanoff's death, there were few people to train the new recruits, so Pepper enlisted in Bucky's help. She knew he and her husband had a strained relationship, but she could think of no one better for the job.

"He hated you," said Pepper, softly, causing Bucky to shift uncomfortably.

"I know."

"He hated you, but he eventually understood. He never admitted it, but I knew. I know you know too, deep down. Steve and he were best friends. You also know that. I'm not asking you to fight. I'm asking you to help others the same way Steve helped you."

"I can try," he agreed.

Pepper, looking as beautiful as ever, yet less radiant due to stress, dressed in a pencil skirt and white blouse, shook her head. "No, Bucky, I'm going to need more than that. I need you to do it. There is no trying. Not when I believe in you."

He nodded a new spark of hope returning to his eyes that hadn't been shown since Steve returned as an elderly man who looked ready to die any day now. "I'll do it."

She nodded, a soft smile on her lips. "Thank you. It means a lot to me and them. Some of... Some of them are kids who have been through a lot. Some are feral, brainwashed. Others are scared, uncontrollable. They all want to be better. You won't be the only one training them, but you'll be the only full-time resident since the others are still on the field. Wanda's there to tap into their minds if they're brainwashed. Sam will help train."

Bucky sighed, causing her to grin.

"Sorry. But you know, Sam had the same reaction as you."