three

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

When she encountered Bucky Barnes for the first time, she was four days in on her thirty days on earth. His eyes examined her face for only a second before he was whisked away by Pepper who talked him through his job.

She wasn't there to be a hero or an assassin. She was there to learn. She watched him train other magnificent people with powers and spar with Sam. She was usually alone, taking strolls in the garden, basking in the sunlight before it got too much for her, or creating ice figures for Morgan who would visit with her mother when she was too busy.

The second time she encountered Bucky was when she was playing with Morgan in the swimming pool. She didn't enter the pool, afraid of freezing it and anyone inside. Instead, she supervised her and talked about kingdoms and tales from her planet, always ignoring tales of how women on her planet were suppressed.

"Hey, you," Bucky called.

She didn't realize he meant her until he said it again, causing her to look over her shoulder to see him looking at her. "Me?"

"Yeah, what's your name?"

"Elsa!" Morgan exclaimed.

Bucky raised an eyebrow. "Really? The Disney Princess?"

"Sam gave me that name," she said. "I believe he called it a nickname. Where I come from, women don't get names."

Bucky's face dropped and he looked at her for any signs of lying, but she wasn't. "Where are you from? I'm guessing it's not Brooklyn."

"I don't know what that is. I came from another planet," she answered.

"Which one?"

She shrugged. "It's not very important. What do they call you?"

"Bucky," he answered. After a moment, he said, "Do you want a name? Elsa sure isn't one."

"Will it be temporary or permanent?" she asked.

"Temporary."

"Then, I will accept your offer, Bucky."

He looked at her face, and it was unlike their first encounter where they were simple strangers. Now, they were acquaintances. She was unnerved by his staring, as no one spared her a second glance on her planet since they were frightened of her.

"Matilda," he spoke.

"Matilda," she repeated. "What an odd name." She turned to Morgan. "How does Matilda sound to you?"

Morgan scrunched her nose up in thought. "I like it!"

"Then, I shall be called Matilda, temporarily."