six

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

The next day, once Matilda was feeling better, Bucky decided to train in her room and take it slowly. The meditation would be good for the both of them. Her room was the coldest room in the compound, and Bucky didn't appreciate it. It reminded him of the ice and the temperature of the cells in HYDRA, but he learned to deal with it by dressing warmly whenever he entered her room with heat packets in his hands and pockets.

She was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in her room that was surely in the negatives. They sat on the floor with closed eyes, listening to mediation music as Bucky talked her through the process of taming her powers.

"It's a part of you," he said. "Don't fear it. If you embrace it, it will make your life easier. You love the cold. Your powers are cold. You two are compatible. Be - "

He sneezed.

Matilda opened one eye and peeked at Bucky who was rubbing his nose and sniffling. "Perhaps my room is not the best room for training, Bucky."

"I don't want you to faint," he grunted, rubbing his nose with the sleeve of his hoodie.

"That is only if I exert myself in the sun. Your room may work."

He grunted. "My room's a mess. No one needs to see that."

"Then you will freeze here," she retorted. "I assume your arm is essentially frozen by now."

He moved his metal arm and sighed when it would barely move. She opened both her eyes and pursed her lips in thought.

"Perhaps we'll call it day and find a new room for tomorrow?" she suggested.

He looked at her and rolled his eyes before getting up. "Fine. Don't faint," he simply said before leaving her room.

She tilted her head, realizing his last comment made it seem like he was worried about her. It erupted a warm feeling in her chest and she wasn't sure what it was, but it felt nice. It felt unlike any other heat she had attempted to bathe in. It was as warm as the sun, but it caused her no ill. The heat was gone as quickly as it came, which left her wondering about its origin. Her room was empty, she realized, and it felt colder than normal - a sort of cold she did not appreciate.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., could you raise the temperature until zero Fahrenheit?" Matilda requested.

The temperature rose and Matilda shredded the hoodie she was wearing, feeling the increase in temperature in her room. For the first time in her life, she didn't want to be left alone in the cold.

She spent the rest of the morning conversing with F.R.I.D.A.Y. while she read articles about all sorts of things to Matilda. She learned what bold people wore for fashion, what a hamburger was, what flowers were, and more. Before she knew it, it was noon and F.R.I.D.A.Y. suggested she head to the cafeteria to eat something.

Matilda did as she suggested, shrugging her hoodie back on as she left her room, walking slowly to the cafeteria in hopes that they would be serving pasta. She grabbed a tray and was elated to find that there was pasta. She grabbed the bowl and placed it into her tray, grabbing apples and oranges at the end. She looked around and walked over to an empty table, but a voice called out to her.

"Elsa, come over here!"

She glanced over at the voice and softly smiled before walking over. "Hello, Sam, Bucky."

"Hey," said Bucky before he bit into a plum.

"Haven't seen you in a while," said Sam. "How are you?"

"I am well," she answered. "Bucky has been helping me control my powers. He is well-educated and very supportive," she complimented. "I am lucky to have him."

Bucky cleared his throat before swallowing. "Thanks."

She smiled, proud of herself. "You are welcome."

Sam glanced between the two. "Okay, I see."

"What do you see?" Matilda asked.

"That you like fruit," he pointed out, glancing at the two apples and two oranges.

"Oh - yes, I do."