29: Gay Rights

Couple Months Later

Couple Months Later

California is so fucking hot.

I don't really know why I own a house out here.

"Hurry the hell up, we're late!" Thomas yells from downstairs. I can practically hear his foot tapping against the tile flooring.

"How the fuck do I put this on?" I mumble to myself. I stare at the dress and throw it over my shoulder. They'll have makeup there, right? Fuck it. I run down the stairs and out the door. Thomas starts the car and we're on our way. Only half an hour to go.

Why did Adriana think an off the shoulder dress was a good idea? I've always had a fear of these. What if I'm walking and bam, my boob pops out. Luciana will kill me if I ruin her daughter's wedding.

"We were supposed to leave twenty minutes ago," Thomas says as he makes a right turn. "We could be twenty minutes closer right now, you brat. You just had to wake up so fucking late."

"Fuck off, you'll see your boyfriend soon enough."

Thomas sighs and says: "Don't mention it, okay?"

"Mateo still hasn't told anyone?" I ask when I already know the answer. Thomas slightly nods and turns up the volume to the music. I turn it down and say: "Damn, I'm sorry. I won't pretend to know what that feels like but I know it must suck. You deserve the world, Thomas. But again, this industry isn't very welcoming of the LGBTQ+ community. Most people are dense and think its weird to like anyone that isn't their opposite gender. Alejandro is stepping down and the twins are stepping up. As horrible as it is, fuckers will see him as less masculine and not worthy to run the business. As ignorant as it is, that's the reality of this life."

Silence stirs inside the vehicle as we're on the way to pick up Salvatore. I turn the volume up and sit back.

"Okay but people don't give a fuck that I'm gay," he brings up. I sigh as the volume goes down.

"You're a driver. Not saying you aren't important because you, Thomas Baine, are an essential part of every operation. But Mateo is the front of the American Mafia, you know? He's out there, fucking killing people, in charge of the drugs, weapons and whatever the fuck else we're in charge of. Mateo is that guy you do not want to fuck with. Basically, he's me but has a dick. Coming out as gay would prompt the idea in others' heads that he's feminine, therefore he's weak.

"Mateo Valentin, the CEO of Valentin Holdings, is gay? Who cares? Mateo Valentin, head of the fucking American Mafia, is gay? Must mean he's a bitch and gives me permission to fuck him over. It's different for him."

"Sometimes, I think about leaving. I love him but I want to love him in public. It's bloody frustrating. I can't ask him to come out because that's entirely his choice. I don't mean to be selfish but fuck, is it wrong of me to want to kiss my boyfriend in public?"