Chapt. 36

That night I couldn't sleep because I was too worried about Ciel and what I had found in Joker's tent. How long has the circus known about me? What will happen if I stay at this place any longer? Will I end up being one of the missing children? 

I feel so stupid. I gave myself away to Joker. He knows too much. What should I do? Should I tell Ciel that we should just go home? I'm so scared of the possibilties that could happen.

With so many thoughts runnng through my head, I snuck off into the medical tent to check on Ciel. He had fallen asleep and the Doctor wasn't around. 

I place my hand on his forehead and sigh. "He still has a fever..." I tell myself. I wonder where Sebastian is right now? Where did he go? It's still the middle of the night. Maybe I should go look for him. Ciel must have ordered him to do something, right? He's sick at the moment. 

I went to go look for Sebastian to see what he was up to. But I felt like I was going in circles. I couldn't find Sebastian anywhere. As I turned the corner around one of the tents, I ran into Joker. 

"Oh, Joker! I'm sorry!" I bow my head, apologizing for bumping into him. 

"Nothing to apologize for, lass. What are ya doing up this late? Everyone has gone to bed." He smiles, placing his hands on his hips. 

"I, well... I couldn't sleep." I look down to avoid eye contact. "I'm sorry. You're right. It's late. I'll head to bed now." I turn on my heels to go back to my tent, but Joker stops me by grabbing onto my shoulder and tells me, 

"Now hold no there, lass. No need to go so soon." 

I gulp when he says this. "Wh-What do you mean?" I turn around to look at him. "But, it's awfully late. I should be going to bed like you said." 

"It's just the two of us up right now. How about I take you some place you'll like." He smiles down at me. 

"A place? What do you mean?" I blink with confusion. What place is he talking about? 

"I think it's about time I give you a reward for becoming first stringer!" 

"Huh? First stringer?" 

"Yes. Congratulations! You're a first stringer now!" 

"But, I haven't performed or done anything. I've been basically helping out the others with Smile and Black. It's a bit strange for me to become a first stringer just by carrying boxes, crates, and cooking. If anything, Black should be first stringer. He's extremely talented and so is Suit." 

"Ah, but I've seen you so much more." Joker leans close to me and cups my cheek with his skeleton hand. 

"J-Joker?" My heart begins to race. I have to get away from him and fast. I need to go back to Ciel. "I think I should be heading back to bed to get some sleep. I-I'll see you tomorrow-" 

"It would be best if you listen to your Master, Star. Or should I say, Jane Montfort." Joker's tone becomes serious when he whispers this into my ear, causing my eyes to widen, followed  by a light, shaky gasp. 

At this point, I was scared. He knows who I am. I should run and call for Sebastian. But I would be exposing him. What should I do? How can I get away?! The only words I could manage out were, "H-How do you know about me?" 

I wanted some answers. This started to become frightening for me. "Jane. It's time to come back to your master. That's an order." 

"It's time to come back, Jane. That's an order!" The voice of one of my previous master's ring through my head. When being told in a serious and threatening tone... I have no choice but to obey...

"Be a good girl and come back to your master, Jane. That is an order." Joker repeats himself and subconsciously, I reply, 

"Yes... Master..." I frown as I look down at my feet. Joker strokes the back of my head and whispers, 

"Good lass." He gently takes my hand and walks toward a horse. He gets me on the animal before he does and we gallop away from the circus, and into the city. 

My entire body was shaking out of fear as I held onto Joker's waist. My memories of my other masters' were replaying in the back of my head. The punishments. The rewards. And the commands. All of it was making me act this way. 

Hearing the word, Master, I felt as if I had to obey because I've grown use to it for so long. I couldn't find the strength within me to call for help at this point. I wanted to call for Sebastian to come get me and take me away, but my body wasn't listening to me. 

Where is Joker taking me? 

What's going to happen to me? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~