CHAPTER 2

NATALIE

It's been months and Mom still has no plans in giving me some answers. Every time I ask about it, she quickly diverts my attention into something, or sometimes she just flips, and tell me to stop asking about it. I couldn't  tell her about the dreams because she might laugh at me.

There's no doubt that my mom knows that man in my dreams, based on her reactions it is plain as day there has been some sort of connection or something else that links me to him. The more mom shoves away this topic, the more questions I have in my mind, and it's driving me insane.

"Are you all packed up?" Mom asks, as we carry the last two boxes outside the house, "Are you sure you didn't forget anything?"

"Mom, if ever I did forget something I can just buy it. I'm sure, there's some cheap things out there. Don't stress yourself too much."

"Alright. Let's get going, we don't want to keep the landlord waiting."

I just jokingly rolled my eyes at her, "Mom it's a three hours drive, he'll probably understand. Gosh just chill out."

"Listen young lady, I'm still your mom and this is the first time that I will be separated with you. And you leaving the house feels a lot painful compared when your dad left. I can't help but to feel this way sweetie."

I look at my mom in awe, putting my hand over her hand giving it a little squeeze to comfort her. She smiles at me and drive quietly during the rest of the trip.

*****

"Natalie, sweetie wake up." I didn't notice that I doze off to sleep until I felt mom shaking me, rubbing my eyes I slowly sat up and look around, "We're here."

I just nod then fix my clothes and my hair before going out from the car. Mom carries some of the boxes inside the apartment's front lobby, and I follow suit, my body still feels tired. When we are done unloading the car, a man in his mid-forties approach mom and they talk about the terms after that mom calls me to go with them for the small tour to the fifth floor.

It was spacious, the walls are made of orangey bricks the ceiling is plain white with the large metal ceiling fan covering half of the living room. The sink has a black marble surface under it is the nice mini oven and stove, and the gas tank. There were small wooden door cabinets under and above it too. The apartment already has a corner set, a center table, a dinning table with chairs. It even has a study table and a couple of books shelves. He said the lights can go light or dim, and showed us how. There are a couple of a ceiling to floor windows facing the city. Mom is so amazed by the place, she keeps smiling at me.

The owner said that the previous family who lived here decided to just leave some of their things that's not essential. There were two rooms they have the same interior design, light blue paint on the walls, white ceilings, and a softly furnished wooden door. It has a family size bed with a small table. The apartment has only one bathroom, it has a bath tub and sliding glass door leading to the hot and cold shower, the bathroom sink has a small mirror attached to the wall. The place just needs a little cleaning, and it'll be a good place to live.

"What do you think?" Mom asks with an utter excitement in her eyes.

Blinking my eyes twice and smile, I answer, "Honestly mom I expected less. I imagined it to be a small apartment."

The owner laughs and says, "Your mom doesn't want the apartment units below, this is actually one of the penthouses. Mine is on the next floor, so you can always knock if ever you need something."

Shocked about what owner said, I look at my mother. "Mom?"

"Oh honey, I just want what's best for you." Mom hold my hands and look around, "Don't you like it?"

"I do, but I'm sure as hell the rent will be expensive."

She just fans her hand and say, "Not to worry, I told Mr. Smith over here to email me the bills. I'll be visiting you here every weekend and I'll be the one to pay the rent."

I have no choice but to agree with her, this place is huge and lonely without mom around. Mr. Smith left us the keys with the duplicates and exit the room. Mom, and I started to clean the apartment and unpack the boxes. We finished at eight in the evening, and we are famished.

"I saw a Chinese restaurant nearby, I'll just take out some food and be right back."

Mom wasn't gone too long she brought some fried rice bowls. You know anything you eat when you're hungry tasted like heaven. We talk about the possible changes that we can apply in the house once she gets back next weekend. After cleaning up everything, Mom told me that she can't stay the night because she have some errands to run in the morning, and I understand that.

"Alright, I expect you to be on your best behavior. I already gave you the ATM card so, you can buy new clothes or some necessities you need, but put a limit on it sweetie, okay?" Mom instructed as we went out the apartment building, to her car. "And I know it's trendy in your generation right now, but I don't want any parties, Mr.Smith needs a lot of rests just to pay respect to the old man. And one more thing don't forget to call or text me every day okay? I love you sweetheart."

"I love you too mom." I kiss her cheeks, and she went in to start the car's engine. "Drive safe."

"I will, I'll just hire someone to bring your car here tomorrow afternoon. Okay?"

"Alright, sounds good to me at least I don't need to walk."

"Goodluck for your first day in college. I'm sure you'll do good."

"Yeah, I'm scared though." I confess, "But as long as they won't categorize me with the nerds, I'll be fine."

Mom just laughed before driving off, I just stand there in the street waving at her as her car slowly went out of sight. Inhaling deeply as I look up to the building, absorbing everything that happened today.

"This is it Natalie, Welcome to the college life."

I was about to get inside when I heard someone whistle. Looking around but found no one, shaking my head I just shrug it off.

"Hey!" a masculine voice calls, but I didn't turn around so it calls again. "Hey miss!"

Slowly looking back, I saw a guy standing under the lamppost with a brown leather jacket and a faded blue jeans, his chestnut hair is messy but in a good way. I can't see his face in the  dark, so I stay on my place.

"You live in there?" He asks nodding his head to the apartment's direction.

I look at the direction he pointed and nods, "Yeah, can I help you with something?"

"Just asking." he states, "Must be new here?" he walks slowly towards me, with his hands on his pockets.

"Uh.. Yeah?" I don't know why but it creeps me out, so I take a few steps backwards.

I don't know if it's just me but I heard him chuckle, tilting his head to the side and say, "Have a great night miss jumpy."

*****

KEEP READING AND VOTING 😘😘
also
STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY ❤

Lovelots xoxo
RainTrain29