{01} Small Talk

{Title of the chapter from Small Talk by Katy Perry. I recommend you listen to the song while reading this if you can}

June 21, 2019

Books were always Anne’s best friends, they were her way out, reading books was her way of leaving the human world for a few hours and go live a tragic romance story or the most fantastic adventure. She loved them so much she did not want to be apart from them, working on a bookshop seemed like the best way to live close to them. Her work was very easy, she worked as the ‘field bookseller’ which meant she had to walk around the store and help the costumers with the books, Anne had read almost every book in the store, therefore she could give an opinion about a book to anyone who needed it.

“Do you need help?” Anne asked the beautiful blonde standing in the middle of the aisle, her brows were furrowed like she was thinking very hard about the book she had in her hand. The girl was holding Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. She was tall with curly blonde hair and grey eyes, and the blue flowery dress she was wearing really accentuated her figure.

“Uhh, yes. Thank you” the girl replied, she was British, Anne quickly noticed her accent. “I really don’t know much about books, but my boyfriend does and I wanted to give it a try, he said he really liked this book but I don’t know” she sighed, “I don’t really like monsters, they’re scary and this book apparently is about a monster. What do you think…uh”

“Anne, that’s my name”

“Nice to meet you, Anne, I’m Winifred” Anne smiled and nodded for her to continue, “Alright, so… My boyfriend told me he read this and he liked it a lot, but, like I told you, I don’t really like monsters…so I don’t know what to do”

“Ok, first if you think you will not like the book, maybe it’s better you look for something else, I can help you if you want. But, I do like this book a lot too, it is about a monster and it can be scary sometimes but it’s not only about that, it’s about humanity and what it means to be human. I don’t want to tell you much about the book because it’s better to read it without prior knowledge”

“Come on! Tell me more, now I’m intrigued” Winifred pouted, making Anne laugh.

“Ah, well… if you want to know want I’m talking about you’ll have to read the book” Anne said with a smug grin on her face.

“That’s not fa-”

“Winnie!”

That voice, I know that voice. Anne thought. The voice was coming from behind her.

“Hi, babe” Winifred replied with a smile, “I’m not done, Anne here is helping me decide if I should buy this book or not”

“Anne?” he breathed, taking the sight of the girl in front of him, who was still with her back to him. She slowly turned to see him, Gilbert.

“Hi” she smiled.

“Wait, you two know each other?” Winnie asked and they nodded. “Oh… Is this the Anne you talked to me about?” Gilbert’s eyes widened and his eyebrows starting telling her to be quiet. Winnie was already acquainted with his talkative eyebrows, so she shut her mouth quickly.

“You talked to her about me?” Anne asked.

“Of course he did, he tells me everything” Winnie said and shut her mouth quickly again after he looked at her again.

“Uh, yes. It’s been a while, Anne” He said, clearing his throat.

“Yes… four years”