Chapter 20

2013
(K19, A18)

The stairs creaked, and the apple green paint peeled here and there. Auspicious feng shui chimes by the windows could be heard throughout the little old house. There was one wall decorated with pictures of the past and present King. And another wall covered with portraits and photographs of a beautiful young woman standing next to an equally handsome young man. Photos showing the couple in their early twenties gradually aging into their fifties. The house is kept tidy, but filled with things of too many.

"Granny Suay, is this all of it?" Arthit asked, and arranged the last two boxes he saw. Granny Suay was donating old things and furniture. He checked his watch, and he has less than an hour before he has to leave. He needs to make it home before his sister and his mom gets home.

"Yes! That's all. Thank you for all your help. You boys are wonderful. Here's a little money for some treats." Granny Suay tries to give the money to Kongpob.

Kongpob pushes the money back. "Granny Suay, I'm always happy to help, and you know I won't accept this. Just save it to buy something for yourself."

"Yeah, Granny Suay, we don't need any money. Kongpob and I are happy to help you." Arthit said to the old granny.

"I know you boys don't care about this little bit of money, but I really want to treat you two to something. I used to be able to give Kongpob a fruit everyday when he helped me push my fruit cart. But now that I'm retired, I don't have any fruits to offer."

"Oh, did you have a fruit cart on Thonglor road where Kongpob's family restaurant is?" Arthit asked. That's a bit far from here. It took them over forty minutes from Thonglor to get here.

"No. Granny Suay's fruit cart used to be near my high school Suankularb Wittayalai School. Well, it was actually closer to the primary school at the foot of the hill."

"Do you mean Bharat Vidayalaya School?" Arthit asked. Could it really be him? Was the boy he helped pick up mangosteens off the street Kongpob?

"Yeah, I've been selling fruits by Bharat for over forty years. Now, I'm too old for that. I miss those days. Anyways, take the money and go get some dessert. I insist. There's a new ice place around the corner. I heard my neighbor's child say all the young kids go there." Granny Suay takes the money, and stuffs it into Kongpob's pocket. She pulls Kongpob in for a hug. She doesn't have any children or grandchildren, and Kongpob has been the closest to one she has had for the past seven years. Living alone wasn't a problem until her age caught up with her. After she retired, Kongpob still came to visit her every week or whenever she needed him. She felt her husband has blessed her from the heavens for sending sweet Kongpob to her.

"Fine. You take care Granny Suay. I'll try to stop by before I leave one more time before leaving. But if I can't make it, then please take care of yourself. Don't eat all those expired cookies. They will give you trouble. You can call my mother if you have any problems. I gave her your number just in case." Kongpob makes to leave, putting his shoes back on.

"Okay. I will take care. You sound older than me with all the nagging. No girl is going to want a man that nags more than their mother." Granny Suay jokes as she wiped away a stray tear.

Arthit smiled, looking at Kongpob for a reaction that didn't come. He is now positive that the boy he helped years ago was his boyfriend. He went to put on his shoes as well.

They finally left Granny Suay's after she promised Kongpob to call his mom sometimes. Kongpob said that he would try to call her too if possible.