15 ~ City Of Ocala

Title Credit: A Day To Remember

~

Maddie’s POV:

“ALEX!” I shook him awake. “There’s a flight in half an hour I can get on!”

He groaned and pulled the pillow over his head. I shook my head and started throwing my things into my bag, texting Jess like mad. When she doesn't answer I grab my key, running down the hall quickly. When I open the door I see her and Jack making out in bed and I groan.

"DRESSED. NOW. THERE'S A PLANE."

I run back to the room and Alex is pulling some clothes on. "Babe slow down." He tells me as I run back and fourth.

"No!" I grab my bathroom things. "I can't slow down! I need to be there for John!"

"There's no need to freak your shit!"

"There is!"

"Babe, please!" He grabs my hands, laughing a bit at my panic. "Everything is fine. I thought you wanted nothing to do with your family? They rejected you."

I pulled away. "And I'm being let back in. All I ever wanted from my family is for them to want me around. I'm being invited back, apologized to! This is my chance to get back the time I lost. And I always loved them. I miss the times we liked each other like when my brother taught me guitar and my dad caught me from falling out a tree. I'm desperate to get back there, Lex."

I turned and left, Jess was leaving her room, still pulling her shoes on. She jogged down the hall to hug me and help me by taking my guitar case while I took my bag. Jack stumbled out into the hallway, l pulling his shirt on, and Alex followed us.

Traffic. I forgot about traffic. I had fifteen minutes to be in the flight. And there's traffic.

Ten minutes till, we get to the airport. I buy my ticket and thank god the airport is mostly empty at this time. 5 minutes till it leaves we start going through security. I tell Jess to stay with my guitar because I forgot to put it through the place you're supposed to.

I race to reach the terminal. I get there to see the doors close.

"No..." I whisper, breathless.

I sit in one of the chairs when Alex comes jogging to the gate. He slows down and takes in what's happened, sitting next to me.

"I'm sorry Maddie."

"Its okay." I sit back and look at him. "You know, it's okay. I've just... been freaked out."

He puts his hand on my leg and nods. "I know."

"I-I could have been like my sister Anne. She had kids so young. M-my entire family is trailer park trash, and I was close to being it too."

He pulled me into a hug. "The friend you're mom mentioned. Is he Jeremy Mckinnon?"

I looked up at him. "Yeah. He was one of my only friends."

"Would you like to talk to him?"

I was slightly surprised at the offer. I should have thought of it before, but I stopped following Jeremy's band a few years ago. When he left Ocala we basically stopped talking.

I nodded. Alex took out his phone.

~

"Hey man what's up?"

"J-Jeremy?"

"Oh uh, yeah, who's this?"

"Maddie..."

"Maddie... Cameron? From highschool?"

"Yeah."

"Holy shit! Maddie! How've you been?"

"Good! Good..."

"Neil! Maddie's calling me! Yeah, Maddie Cameron."

"N-Neil's there?"

"We're all on the bus right now. It's been so long!"

I smiled. "It has."

"Why are you calling from Alex Gaskarth's phone?"

"Uh, we're dating."

"Oh shit. I always said I'd beat the shit out of anyone you dated but, he has Zack on his side..."

I giggled. "You don't have to."

"Did you just call to catch up?"

"I wanted to, yeah. And I needed to be cheered up, you're good at that."

"What happened?"

"Just... stuff back home. I moved away awhile ago but... do you ever go back?"

"To Ocala... yeah, to see family. But you know, it has a lot of bad memories around it. Every time I go back I run into someone I hated when we were teenagers and it goes to my head. But then I realize that I'm doing better than they ever will. The town got better, but I chose band life over it. I don't let the bad stuff hold me down. You shouldn't either."

~

A/N:

Happy 11th birthday Alex

6 comments 12 votes for a new chapter

Sorry it sucks