9. One More Chance.

Aaron's POV

Maybe if Ava hadn't hugged me like that, things would have been different.
If she hadn't been so worried about me, if she hadn't showed me that little side of her that cared about me, I would have had doubts that she even felt anything for me.
I would have been planning another date with Brenda.
I would have made progress in trying to forget about her, not that it was working anyway.

She was on my mind, she was in my thoughts, she occupied every living fibre in my body.
And all it took was one night.
The first night ever that we spent together.

And probably the last.

But that was all it took to have me hooked. The way she hogged the blankets and murmured in her sleep.
The way she tangled her legs with mine and allowed me to hold her all night long.
Those little things I observed about her, those little things that she shared with me, was all I needed to start falling for her all over again.

And I didn't even know until it was too late.
Until I had heard her crying after I accepted to go out with Brenda.
Until I couldn't stop talking about her and thinking about her.

And to think I only accepted to go out with Brenda just so Ava would stop overreacting over breakfast.
But she was right in the end.
That night changed everything.
Everything.

'You have feelings for her.'
Brenda's words from our phone call this morning still echoes in my head.
When she said those words, I wanted to ask her what she meant, I wanted to ask her who she was talking about. But all I said was,

'How do you know?'

'I'm pretty sure when a man mistakenly addresses a bunch of flowers to a lady he can't stop talking about, in which case the flowers happen to be her favourite, points to one answer.'

'I'm sorry Brenda.'

'Don't be. You were more honest with me than you think.'

How I made that mistake still remains a mystery to me, same way I forgot to cancel for prom with Madeline.

All because of Ava Jeanne Simmons.

And now, I know what I feel.
I know what I want.
And I'm not going to allow her attempts of pushing me away to stop me.

Instantly, I hear her footsteps approaching the door and I stand, prepared.
No more running Ava.
No more pushing, no more hiding.
Not tonight.

I hear the door open and I wait patiently in the kitchen, imagining her reaction.

Ava's POV

Through out my entire uber ride, I was unable to focus. The pink roses in my hand still felt unreal, like a dream.
But then I would look at the card and my name would stare back at me.

'Ava.'

What is going to happen now?
Does he know Brenda gave me the flowers?
Does he even know he made the mistake?

And the most painful question; what difference will this make? After a week I'll be catching my flight back to California....away from Aaron.
Away from home.

My thoughts are still in a jumbled mess as I get to the door of the condo.
I'll just give the flowers back to him.
Yes. Yes, that's what I'll do.
And then I'll explain that it can't change any---

I'm suddenly lost for words and my thoughts vanish into nothing as I open the door.
There is a trail of pink, red and white roses leading into the hallway. And a few miniature envelopes following the trail.