Chapter 16: Cain

For the second time, I had managed to take down Grigori's sorry excuse for backup. Their attempts to incapacitate me had failed miserably, and it wasn't just because I was stronger than them. The pain from stepping on hallowed ground had subsided the deeper we moved into the catacombs allowing me to speak without choking on every word, but it was still present and it weakened me considerably. The good thing was that they too felt it, all four demons, Grigori, his henchmen, and Amalia--the lying little witch. The only advantage I had was the angel at my back, her thoughts wrapping my mind in a thin shield, protecting me from the harshest attacks of the Holy Ghost while Grigori and his men took the full brunt of it.

A dozen questions passed through my brain as I fought them off, but I ignored them, focusing on the fight. I could analyze the situation when this was all over and then I'd deal with Amalia.

Grigori glared down at his demon backup, a guttural hiss escaping his throat. "You know why the scent of the child is so faint, Cain?"

"Because the stench of your stupidity is overwhelming?" I guessed.

Amalia's nails dug into my neck as she latched herself onto me from behind, her lips brushing my earlobe. "It's because there is no child here, there's that lost touch baby, you can't even spot an illusion when you see one."

Michaela's scream ripped through the stone room, ricocheting around me like a lament to my foolishness. I reached up and grabbed a fistful of Amalia's hair, my fingers threading flame through her strands. I yanked with all the strength I had as I felt Michaela's protection around my mind evaporate. Amalia's cry soared over my head and I whipped her body at Grigori, knocking them both to the ground. I spun, my palms open, flame dripping from my fingertips lighting a blue path to the place where I'd left Michaela.

I collided with something sharp, warmth, and wetness spread across my belly. I stumbled backward, digging into my power and letting the flame spread up my arms until I could see what was in front of me. An arm protruded through the darkness gripping the hilt of a blade buried deep in my stomach. My head swam as the arm yanked back removing the dagger. Blood splattered to the ground and my knees buckled, Michaela's muffled cry met my ears, and then suddenly I was bathed in a blazing light.

The child and nun were gone and in their place were two young demons who held Michaela, I didn't know them, and I didn't care to. The one on the left dropped the dagger he'd stabbed me with, both demons at her side shielding their eyes from the brilliant light of her halo. Michaela dove forward free from their grip, her arms encircling my neck and her body connecting with mine. We lurched backward entangled in one another, my blood pooling between us, the room dove and swayed, and with a soft squelch of the ground I was on my back, the sky angry and raining down upon us. Small trees reached toward the sky around us, protruding up from the wet earth beneath.

I spluttered as fat raindrops assaulted my face, slid between my lips and down my throat. Michaela didn't budge, her limbs wrapped tightly around me as if she were welded to my body.

"Chaela," speaking sent a pain through my torso, but still she didn't move. "Angel..." I grunted. I put my hands beneath her arms and tried to lift her away from my chest, but her face was buried into the crook of my neck and her lips let out a hiss. "What have you done? Where are we?"

Finally, she gasped. Her head popped up and her nose touched mine, she blinked furiously, her mouth sucking in long gulps of humid air. "I...I..." she looked around, "I don't know...I didn't know I could do this. You, you're hurt." She jumped off me, and I groaned from the pressure. There were damp blotches of blood across the front of her black hoodie and her face looked petrified.

"I'll heal." I sat up, already feeling the wound above my belly button sealing itself from the inside out. Her lips trembled as she looked down at me, what a mess I must have looked because the making of tears welled in her eyes. "Hey," her small hands went to her mouth and I stood, taking her face into my hands. "You did good, angel, we're okay."