𝑀𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑌𝑜𝑢

"Y-you're joining the army?" Nini asked in shock. "Princess, I have to do this. I've always wanted to help people. This is the only way I could." Ricky replied. "Okay... okay. What type of work are you going to be doing?" Nini asked. "I'm training for a mission, but they don't tell us where we're going until the training is complete." he responded. "This is the kind of mission that you probably won't come back from, isn't it?" she asked. Ricky just stayed silent. That gave Nini her answer.

***
Nini's Pov
He's been gone for 1 year. I don't know if he's alive or not. We don't get any source of communication. All I know is that he wanted to help people. He's always wanted to help people. If that meant giving up his life, he would do it. We were 16 when he decided to leave. He wasn't sure when he would see me again, if he lived.

Now I'm a senior in high school. I'm about to turn 18. I've always thought about my 18th. I would be an adult. I'd start my adult experiences, but I always imagined that he would be here with me. Some days are better than others. Some days I try to live my life like he wanted me to. Other days I'm just reminded that he's not here. Whenever I'm stressed or just missing him, I'd spend the night in his room. It sounds weird, but it makes me feel closer to him. I've raided his closet too. 90% of the clothes I wear are his. They still still like him. Almost as if he's giving me never ending hug.

***
It's my 18th birthday. I wake up, and decide that today is going to be a good day. I know Ricky would've wanted that for me. I was going to spend the day with my friends. They were just as sad as I was when he left. They would always ask me why he felt he need to leave. I always told them that he was just so selfless, and that he felt he needed to help people, but I never knew why he felt he needed to go that far.

As I head downstairs I'm greeted with my moms making breakfast. "There she is! Our birthday girl!" Momma C says as I enter the kitchen. "Happy Birthday baby girl! I can't believe your 18!" Momma D says before flipping a chocolate chip pancake on the skillet. Those were my favorite. Not a bad start to the day.

After breakfast I got ready for the day with my friends. We were going to go to Ashlyn's house and have my own little birthday party with my friends. Nothing too special.

As I'm at Ashlyn's watching Big Red and Carlos sing 'Breaking Free' with everyone laughing at them, I feel my phone buzz. I look down to see a text from Ricky's dad.

"Hey kid! Happy 18th! I hope today has been great so far! Also, I hope you don't mind me crashing your dinner tonight with your moms and friends."

I smile at my phone. Ever since Ricky left Mr. Bowen and I have formed a good relationship. He's like the dad I never had.

"Thank you so much! I wouldn't mind at all if you came tonight. I would love for you to come!"

I put my phone away and continued to watch Red and Carlos sing. After they finish Big Red and comes over to sit next to me. "How have you been today so far?" he asks and I know what he means by that. I just lay my head on his shoulder before replying. "I'm good actually. I told myself to make it a good day. I know that's what he would've wanted." Ever since he left Big Red and I got closer. We just related to each other a lot. After all, he lost his best friend too. "What about you? How have you been doing lately?" I ask him. "I miss him. A lot. We lost our best friend Nini." he replies. I just grab his hand and close my eyes. "I miss him too Red."

After my talk with Big Red, I had fun the rest of the afternoon with my friends. It was time for my big dinner at my house with my friends, my moms, and Mr. Bowen. Ricky's mom reached out to me too. She wished me a happy birthday and said she hopes I'm doing okay. It was nice to hear from her. When Ricky left she felt guilty that she didn't spend enough time with him before she moved to Chicago. Every once in a while I would call her and see how she was doing. Our conversations always found their way back to Ricky, but I didn't mind.