𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚝𝚑 (𝟸)

Continuation of 'Let's Run Away'

2 weeks later...

the two teens had been away from home for two weeks. they hadn't talked to their families or friends. they didn't care though. they were just happy to be together. they even found someone to stay with. although Nini wasn't on the best terms with him, her dad was the only person she could think of to call for help.

he promised not to tell anyone where they were as he wanted to try and build a relationship with his daughter. besides, he wasn't in contact with Carol or Dana anyway. Ricky and Nini were happy. they were 400 miles from home, but they were happy. they had received numerous amounts of calls and texts from their parents and friends. well at least Ricky did. Nini on the other hand, left without her phone.

as the couple sat on her dad's couch one morning watching tv, Nini's dad walked in the room. "guys, y'all have been here for two weeks. i know i said i wouldn't say anything about your whereabouts, but you still haven't explained to me why you're here. i can help you, but you've got to give me something. please." he said. Nini and Ricky looked at each other for assurance before Nini looked back at her father. she sighed before speaking up.

they both explained everything. they explained how they met, fell in love, and kept it a secret. they told him how their families hated each other and didn't let them see one another. "...and that's why we're here." Nini said as he grabbed onto Ricky's hand. "oh boy." her dad muttered to himself. "the only thing we don't know is... why our families hate each other in the first place." Ricky said. that's when her dad perked his head up.

"i think i might know why." he told them. the two looked at him in shock. "alright listen, i'm gonna tell you, but you have to know that this isn't your fault." he said as he glanced between the two of them. they both nodded before he continued. "okay so when you two were born, you're parents got along. they were friends. when you guys got to the age of two that's when things started to change-" "wait, but my moms told me that them fighting started before we were born?" Nini said cutting her father off. he just shook his head "they didn't want you to know the truth."

"so what happened?" Ricky asked as he pulled Nini closer by the waist. "well when you were two years old, you two were like best friends. at the time, i was still somewhat in your life, Nini. one day i came to take you to my house for the weekend. when i got there, i heard your moms fighting with Ricky's parents."

flashback

(What you're about to read can be a sensitive topic, and I know Mike or Lynne would never act like this. it's just for the story, oh and also pretend that Nini was born with the name Nini, k enjoy.)

Nini's father was just trying to get Nini for the weekend when he heard yelling from inside. he recognized the two voices other than Carol and Dana. Mike and Lynne Bowen. he walked into the house quietly and followed the sounds of yelling. as he got to the kitchen none of the adults seemed to notice his presence.

"WE DON'T WANT OUR SON PLAYING WITH NINI ANYMORE! HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU?" Lynne yelled at Nini's moms. "why?! Ricky and Nini love playing with each other!" Dana fired back. "we don't Ricky to be influenced by you and Carol. we don't want him picking up these habits." Mike said trying to be more calm. "what do you mean by habits?" Carol asked. "we don't want Ricky to act like you two when he's with his guy friends." Lynne said. "we just don't want him to be like you." the two moms looked at Mike and Lynne astonished. "what did you just say?" Dana asked coldly. "i think you heard what we said." Lynne responded trying to be confident. "get out." Carol told them. "we don't want our daughter hanging around the son of two homophobes." she finished as she guided them towards the door. "look, Carol, Dana-" Mike said trying to reason with them. "GET OUT!" Dana yelled before pushing them out and slamming the door.

that's when the two moms noticed Nini's father standing there. "oh, Adam, sorry we didn't know you were here." Carol said to him. "i- i uh just to came to get Nini."

end of flashback.

"oh my god." Nini mumbled looking at the ground. tears strolled down her face as she looked back up to meet her father's eyes. "i... uh- i need a minute." she said before getting up and leaving to go to the guest room where her and Ricky had been staying. Ricky just sat there in shock. he didn't know what to think. his parents have been lying to him about everything. he was living with people who hated the culture that surrounded his girlfriend. she was proud of having two moms. he liked that her family had diversity.

"my- my parents said that?" he asked as tears spilled from his eyes. Nini's dad just nodded sadly. "i'm sorry that you and Nini got caught up in this." Ricky just nodded. "it's okay. it's not like you could've stopped it from happening... should i talk to her?" "i think it's best we let her be for a little bit."

+

it wasn't until two hours later that Nini had decided to come out of the room. Adam was out getting lunch for the three of them when she finally returned to the living room. as Ricky spotted her coming from the hallway he got up from his spot on the couch and wrapped her in his embrace.

"oh Nini i'm so sorry!" he said wrapping his arms tighter around her waist. "bubba it's okay. it's not your fault." she said burying her head into his neck. "no it's not okay! what my parents did to your moms is not okay. they're the reason we can't be together! nothing about this is okay." he said as they pulled away. "what do we do now?" she asked her curly haired boy. "i wish i knew princess, i wish i knew... should we go back? should we try and fix things." "i don't know Ricky. i don't want go back just yet. i like being able to be with you without having to hide." she replied. "then let's wait. two more weeks and then we go back and we fix things between our parents." he said. "two more weeks."

"i love you Nini."

"i love you more." she replied before giving him a long kiss.

part 3 coming soon.