guardians ; narration

"Two souls that lay alive now only in memory, which bloomed an unexpected and forbidden love that would never be.

Millenia ago, back when stories could only be narrated, there were gifted individuals known as 'guardians'. The moment a child was born, their body would be checked for a mark that would only appear every hundreds of years. It often came in the form of a tattoo, ink to skin that would otherwise not exist. Without fail, if the mark existed, it called for a big symbol of nature. The moon, sun, stars, or even a sigil for an aspect of nature.

Guardians would grow up with exceeding strength, not succumbing to natural illnesses or issues from the times. They lived only to prepare themselves, so that one day, they could look after what their sigil commanded. A guardian's weakness was a strange one, they would only perish once another guardian with their symbol was born. Once a child was birthed carrying that same mark, it was time for the current guardian to be laid to rest. It was uncommon, and for that some guardians protected their domain for millenia.

There was, however, an abnormal occurrence with the last guardians ever known to history. Males who were assigned to the sun, and the moon.

Jeon Jungkook held an emblem of a crescent moon behind his left ear. He had every trait a guardian should, otherworldly strong since birth, and drawn to every mystery the lunar object held with her grace. He was, as all guardians, taken from his family at birth and conditioned to what his duty would entail.

Kim Taehyung, on the other hand, held the emblem of a flaming sun on his right collarbone. Despite that, he was a weaker male. Yet, there was nothing to be done, that flaw did not mean he could dismiss who he was meant to be. A guardian of the sun was meant to be the strongest of all, a requirement deemed most important. All that held this knowledge fretted over the possible consequences, but none dared question it, this was the work of fate. And he, the chosen one.

After some years of their preparation for their task, their sigils started changing. Like the universe had changed her mind, erasing the ink she delicately wrote on their skin, changing their individual symbols to an eclipse. At once, the moon and the sun had molded together. Not a soul knew what this meant, not the wisest man in the land could decipher the message. This had never been heard of.

In fear of the unknown, all kept this a secret. Hidden from the knowledge of the common people, not ready to disturb fate. Those news were enough to tear apart kingdoms, to completely break the peace.

Jungkook and Taehyung continued with their training, and soon they were sent to live in their respective places. It was in their anatomy to withstand the environment, it would be their home until the next guardian arrived.

From there on, something bloomed. There was a shift in how the world around them behaved, new phenomena that not a single one knew how to interpret. Often, the moon and the sun would come together. Meet halfway, covering one another for only mere moments. An eclipse, what the tattoos had depicted. It was new, rare, terrifying for those who did not understand. A new spectacle, an event that never happened before the new and last guardians had come along. It was a meeting that did not last long, but meant the world for the guardians as the time they shared was sacred. During those moments, their sigil shone brighter than ever.

These gatherings kept on for years, so much so the commoners of the Earth began to understand them. Developed ways to understand the patterns and repetitions, and predict the timing of each event. Until, the eclipses stopped. Altogether, with no warning, leaving all in the world clueless. After that, they never met again. And each tattoo on the male's skin turned back to what they originally were. The universe had regretted her choice once again, but this time, she made a mistake. One she could not undo, no words or bloodshed would be enough to erase the destruction that lay on her own hands. All the guardians had died. She had killed them.

None on Earth knew they had died, until millenia after, when the moon and sun lost their vibrancy. Once the oceans became polluted, the animals grew wild in disabandon. Nature started withering, the stars failed to align, constellations exploded. The world was decaying, collapsing in on itself until there was no more to lose.

Some scientists, the ones who cared to study the tale, thought it was the cause of a love that could never be. That love, with its strength and chaos, had been what drove the cosmos to lose balance. The universe, ever the enabler, had allowed what was impossible to exist. And with that, with the heartbreak of never being able to see their destined one, their sadness had affected the celestial objects, and caused a chain of reactions.

Though, nobody ever knew what truly had happened, none would ever know. All that was shared in the stories was that no child was ever born with a mark on their skin again. The lineage of the guardians had ended, and with that the importance died with them. Years went by without a guardian, and they lay forgotten with the stories of glory that once meant so much.

We, as a common society, still have not made any development in finding out what truly happened to the last two main guardians. All we have to study are the myths, spoken tales that cannot be traced back into modern facts. The most common theory is the forbidden love, but unless the guardians themselves appear once more, none could ever know."

With that, she dismissed the class. Waving to her beloved students goodbye, she made sure the ring she held on her pointer finger hid the beautiful tattoo she had been born with. A tiny eclipse, the moon and the sun, with two small figures tipping towards one another in the midst of the beautiful phenomena.

"Bora, are you ready to go?" The teacher whipped around, startled at being lost in thought. Her best friend stood there, waiting for her. Ever the nervous habit, she fidgeted with her ring as she gathered her things, sending a nod to her best friend's question. Bora was someone with no background, often thought to be a miracle. She knew better, though, her millenia on this Earth had taught her enough about who she was meant to be. She was meant to be the next guardian, of an entirely new aspect of the world, and the result of a love that could never be. Of the legend she adored to tell.

- rewritten.