prologue

beginning of summer '20

outer banks, north carolina. paradise on earth, for some. for others, a place full of secrets, lies and hidden treasure. but of course, i didn't know any of this until i moved here.

my sister and i are here for the first time, moving in with my dad and his new fiancé. her name is dr. anna thornton and her son's name is topper. they seem like nice people; keyword being seem. he's about my age. our first impression, she wasn't the most welcoming to people of color.

"thomas, are these your girls?" she asks, sweetly, smiling at us. "they're so dark."

"mom, you can't just say that to people," he says, hitting her arm gently. "nice to meet you. my name's topper. and you are?"

my little sister smiles as she walks into the house, "i'm layla and this is sasha. i'm thirteen and she's fifteen. pleasure is all mine. i can't wait to spend my summer here!"

"sorry about my comment earlier, sweetheart. i just never realized you girls were going to look so different from your father here," she nods her head as she apologizes.

"i'll let it pass just as long as i can have a drama free summer," i say, while beaming a colgate smile at her. "just please don't let comments like that slip again. especially not around my sister."

while we all got off on the wrong foot, i can see my dad is visibly happier being around this woman and if he's happy, my sister's happy and when she's happy, i'm happy. we've all been in a slump since last spring when my mom suffered from stage four breast cancer and passed away. being able to relax in this beautiful sun all day, every day will seriously help us all.

topper leads me up to my bedroom, where there are succulents and cute decor.

"wow, did you design it yourself?" i joke, and put my backpack down on the bed.

"no, my girlfriend actually helped a lot with both of your bedrooms. speaking of, she wants to meet you, like, yesterday," he says, proudly.

"well, judging from the style of this room, i can tell me and her are gonna get along just fine," i answer and smile, "i really wanna go surfing, like, yesterday."

"yeah. cool, cool. why don't you put a swimsuit on and we can go surfing with sarah and our friends," topper says, while walking away.