chapter seven

the rest of the day, i relax by the pool with my sister and father. he made us a hearty, home cooked salad for lunch and now we're all catching up with each other on loungers.

rafe, kelce, and topper come out from the gym room and they all give me dirty glares

rafe, kelce, and topper come out from the gym room and they all give me dirty glares. my dad waves at them and they change their facial expressions. they don't say anything but walk into the kitchen. i excuse myself to get "more water."

as soon as i walk through the door, they all stop talking and roll their eyes.

"oh my god, guys," i say, with a sickly smile. "why do you guys always have to be so negative? you know, since i've been here, i don't think i've seen any of you smile or be carefree."

"that's because since you've been here, you been hanging out with those dirty pogues," rafe answers, and i notice the bruise on his jaw.

"are you sure it's because of that? or are you pressed you got punched by a girl?" i taunt him.

"shut up," he says, and kelce laughs.

"why do you guys hate them so much anyways? because it seems like y'all are similarly as dirty as them," i say, referring to their multiple fights. "liking jumping pope when he was innocent, maybe?"

rafe is the first one to speak, "it's business that you wouldn't understand, sweetheart."

i internally cringe and say, "why? do you think i'm stupid? why can't you just tell me the significance of your stupid feud?"

"to be honest, i don't really want to," topper says, sitting down at one of the island chairs. "and anyways, shouldn't you be getting ready for midsummer's?"

"getting ready for what?" i asked, looking dumbfounded.

"midsummer's," kelce answers. "it's where we get to dress up and flaunt the wealth of our ancestors for an evening. it's like the biggest night of the year."

"i think i'll pass," i answer him, going past him and rafe to the fridge. "i'd rather not hang with you pretentious assholes."

"well, you have to go since your dad, sister, my mother and i are all going to be there. it would be quite odd if you weren't there. also, sarah's gonna be there and your friend kiara, too," topper answers.

"why are you guys acting so...so nice to me?" i ask them all, grabbing a bottle of water and a bowl of strawberries from the fridge. "i could've sworn you'd be cursing and swearing me."

rafe chuckles, "it's not you we're mad at, babe. we're mad at your friends who sunk topper's boat."

"but i was with them when they did it," i said. "why was my face not shown on the photo?"

"we took your face out of it," rafe said. "and besides, we wouldn't have done it if you were with them."

"oh, i'm glad to know my presence is dependent on if you're gonna beat a poor boy up or not. this all could've been avoided if you'd just let pope do his job," i speak to rafe. "and topper, if you wanted the money for the boat so badly, you could've talked to me about it, and i would've given it to you."