chapter four

when i got home, everyone was asleep. thank god because i am so not ready to be getting in trouble with my dad already. i walk upstairs to my bedroom and throw on some 'jamas. i go in my bathroom and take a nice, long shower so i can get all the ocean gunk from earlier out of my hair.

when i get out of the shower, i braid my hair back, then apply a face mask

when i get out of the shower, i braid my hair back, then apply a face mask. when i open the door into my room, topper is sitting on my bed.

"holy shit, topper!" i whisper-yell. "what are you doing in my room?"

"what were you doing earlier?" he asks, glaring at me. "your dad said you went for a drive but you were gone about five hours. so how was your trip to virginia and back?"

"i didn't go to virginia. i just needed to get away from everything. all this drama was making my head hurt, so i found a secluded place and smoked for a bit. obviously, i couldn't drive while i was high so i went for a walk on the beach and then i drove back here," i explained myself to him. "but i don't know why i'm telling this to you because you're not my dad."

i motion for him to get out of my room, and he abides. i don't miss his sly scoff on the way out. i close the door behind him and take a deep breath to collect myself. i take my phone and charger out of my bag and plug it in. my face starts to burn from my mask so i go to wash it off. after moisturizing, i head to bed and it's not long before i'm out like a light.

••••••••

as i start to gain consciousness the next morning, i hear hushed voices all talking at once. john b, jj, kiara, and pope are all in my room.

i shoot up from my bed real quick before my dad walks past my door. "what the hell, dad?"

he comes back by my room and says, "what? they showed up asking for you. was i supposed to lie and say you weren't home? plus, they seem like good kids."

"you're not mad at me?" i ask, incredulously.

"no. no, i'm not mad. well, i kind of am. but at the fact that you felt you couldn't tell me you were going out with friends that weren't..what's the word kooks?" he sounds disappointed. "princess, i didn't raise you to only be friends with people because of their social standing. i know that's how everyone here expects us to be but it's not how i was raised and how i raised you, so next time you go on a rendezvous with them, just tell me."

with that, he walks into his room. i walk back into my room to a stunned kiara.

"dude, your dad's a—" i cut her off.

"please don't call my dad hot. that's so weird," i say. "why are you guys here anyway?"

"i wasn't gonna says he's hot," she starts. "but he is one hunk of a man. and i tried calling and texting you but you must've had your phone off. you're coming on an adventure with us today. we might even initiate you into our group."