chapter six

the next day, the weather started to clear up a bit and we took pope's boat out to find the wrecked ship. i'm so thankful i packed extra clothes in my bag, because i changed before we headed off.

 i'm so thankful i packed extra clothes in my bag, because i changed before we headed off

jj is driving the boat and john b tells him when to stop the engine

jj is driving the boat and john b tells him when to stop the engine. he drops the drone into the water and pope is watching the screen. kiara is counting off how deep the drone is.

john b directs jj where to steer the boat and i watch his steady hands. by the time the drone gets four hundred feet deep, the weather changes and the wind starts to pick up and drift the boat away from the point of the wreck. john b keeps directing jj and he obliges.

i jump as the thunder starts clapping and john b, kiara, and pope all look at the screen.

"what? what do you see?" i ask all of them.

"that's the royal merchant," john b remarks.

they start searching through the ship, but they don't see anything. they all start arguing and i try to cool them all down.

••••••••

after that huge disappointment, we all went back home and i was about to go up to my room when i saw topper and his mom talking to some guy about the submerged boat. i smile to myself and grab a book from the shelf and take it outside to look at the drama unfold. i lay on one of the loungers and take my shirt off. i pull my sunglasses out of my bag and put them on my face.

when they come up from the dock, topper gives me a dirty glare before going inside the house. he deserves it after what he did to pope.

my sister comes and sits next to me and we talk about everything. she's gotten closer to wheezie, sarah's younger sister.

later that evening, kie invites me to come with her, pope, and jj to a movie. i tell my sister she can tag along if she wants.

i take a shower and get dressed. i take a short nap, but my sister wakes me up and tells me we're gonna be late to the movie.