Chapter 3

"So anyway tell me about your world" John asked gently stroking the back of my hand. I sighed and closed my eyes. "In this world we're not allowed to use our abilities." I started. "Why?" That was a question I didn't know the answer to. I wish I was able to understand it as well. Why we had to live in hiding. "I... I don't know..." I said helplessly. 

"The people you called 'cripples' are in charge here. They dictate everything that goes on around them." John lifted his head off of mine and looked towards me. "How are they able to dictate everything? They're just cripples" John scoffed. I frowned. Does he not believe me? "Well they were until they were able to get rid of abilities" John perked up at this. "Get rid of..?" I nodded slowly. "They don't allow it anymore but they used to inject people-- mid-tiers and higher with this disabling drug similar to the one you described earlier" 

John squeezed my hand clearly frustrated again. "Now that they've done that the number of mid-tiers dropped significantly and they died out." I continued. "So once they've lost their ability the majority of the population were powerless."

I looked over towards the sleeping bodies. "The government system changed and those who used to have power were hunted down and eliminated. That's why Wellston was attacked. Wellston has the highest amount of high tiers in the area. The authorities were going to send us off to a labor camp or something." 

"That's disgusting. Why would anyone do that?" I shook my head. "I don't know john. The way they treat us is horrible. We're not even human to them. Sometimes after they kill or capture a high tier they use their bodies as experiments." I said tears filling my eyes. "They torture those poor kids who get captured and they kill their parents! It's so cruel" I said trying to hold back tears as they continued to flood my vision. 

John put his arm around my shoulders. "It's okay to cry you know" He said pulling me into a hug. I've never really cried openly before much less told that it was alright to do so. Throughout my life I've never been able to cry. I was constantly told to suck it up and accept reality. Being held in his strong arms made me feel safe and protected. I was able to express myself without being put down. I grabbed onto his uniform and wailed. It felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders. His hands rubbed my back in an effort to comfort me. 

"My life sucks" I muttered into his jacket. "Same here" He said pulling away. I released my grip and covered my face in embarrassment. Almost immediately I felt a pair of hands remove my hands from my face. I looked away trying to avoid his face. But his hand reached under my chin and pulled my face up forcing me to make eye contact with him. "don't cover your face there's nothing to be ashamed about" 

His hand moved up from my chin to my cheek slowly caressing it with his thumb. I held his warm hand and melted into it.   

"Hey, guys!" Our heads turned around towards a girl with pink hair. Embarrassed once again I pulled his hand away from my face. "Oh sorry was I interrupting something?" Remi asked taking a step back. "N-no not at all" She nodded and walked over towards us. "Can I sit?" I nodded making way for her to sit with us on the large piece of concrete. 

I turned my head back to john who seemed lost in thought. "John..?" He jumped and looked towards me. "huh? yeah?" 

"This is Remi" I said introducing the two. He frowned and looked around as if he was expecting someone else to come. "john...?" He shook his head and looked back towards Remi and I. "sorry just thought I heard something" I patted his back. "It's fine we're all kind off paranoid here" He nodded slowly. "Anyways" I said grabbing his hand in one and Remi in the other. "Meet" They shook hands. "John...Have I met you before?" Remi asked scratching her head.

"You don't know him?" I asked surprised. She had caught us together several times throughout the school year. In fact, she was the reason John and I were dating in the first place (the john from my world). How could she have forgotten him? "Yeah I don't know him but he looks awfully familiar." I turned towards John. "John did you have a Remi in your world?" His face darkened. "Yeah I know her"

I was confused once again. "You really don't know him...?" She shook her head. "I mean he seems very familiar but I don't know..." Weird.

 "Hey Remi is anyone else awake?" Remi nodded. "Yeah I saw a couple of other students beginning to wake up" I stood up and offered my hands to John and Remi. "Well we should be there before they all wake up" John and Remi stood up and together the three of us headed towards the sleeping students.