| Scars

The moon outside the small window provides a sensation of comfort Zelda hasn't felt in almost one hundred years. The air is light, and the silence outside Impa's humble house is enough to put her at ease.

Slowly but surely, Zelda's been getting used to the darkness of the night, to overcoming the fear she used to have whenever the sun set while imprisoned in Ganon's tight grip. She's not trapped anymore, nor does Ganon live, so finally she's been accepting a small moment of peace, at last.

It's well past resting hours, the moon already making its descent to give its place to the early sun, and sleep doesn't seem to find Zelda. She decided after the third attempt at trying to rest that she should just give up and go downstairs for a bit. Now, cozy in a comfy sheikah robe that Paya so caringly provided, Zelda gazes to the village outside with new eyes. Eyes that have seen too much, that have lived too long, and now deserve some rest. Eyes that somehow changed how she saw things, eyes that she's grateful to have because seeing the Nature without one ounce of malice feels like a job well done.

Allowing a small smile to her lips, Zelda takes another sip of the tea she found on the dining table, flourishing the flavor as if it's new. It's not, in all honesty, because although Impa has lived long enough to start forgetting the simplest things, she hasn't really forgotten Zelda's favorite tea.

Thinking about the older sheikah brings a genuine smile to Zelda's rosy lips. The old woman is currently sleeping upstairs, and so is Paya. She's the only one still awake, and - presumably - so is Link. He's been gone for a while now, and hasn't come back. Though Zelda doesn't worry because she knows that he's alright. Otherwise she would have been the first to notice something was amiss.

Ever since they defeated the Calamity a couple of months ago, Link has been taking some time to himself during the night. He once told her that he likes to wander through the woods close to the fairy fountain at night to clean his thoughts, as well as appreciate the fireflies and occasional blupees that like to take shelter on the trees and small weeds. Zelda understood and she still understands. He's spent so long alone that suddenly being surrounded by so many people may feel slightly overwhelming. He needs it, so who is she to tell him otherwise? The Princess of Hyrule? Not anymore, she's sure. After everything that happened she wants anything but think about ruling Hyrule. The kingdom has lived well during the time she was gone. Why would she change their rules now when everything is at peace?

Besides, Link knows she's safe, and his role towards her is now nothing more than a memory. He has no obligation to her whatsoever, so there isn't really anything to hold him to her anymore. However, he doesn't really leave.

When she asked him just that, his answer had been simple. "I don't recognize myself anywhere else but at your side." and with his small smile and a twinkle of truth on his eyes, he had erupted a feeling inside her heart that she knew would never cease, for sure.

So now they're inseparable, two souls tied together by destiny, two people with so much in common it's almost fictional. He's different from one hundred years ago, yes, but he has the same heart he did at the time. Still the humble, gentle knight she knew, but less stoic and more open to speak up his mind. Which Zelda has come to realize is not that bad. She's always enjoyed hearing his voice the few times he used to speak before so she doesn't really mind that her knight speaks more often now.

The coldness radiating from the mug she holds wrapping around her fingers tells her that she's been trapped inside her head for quite some time.

With a resolute nod that now she will sleep, Zelda places the mug on a nearby balcony, silently going upstairs not to awake the two sheikah. Walking past their rooms, Zelda catches a glimpse of light coming from the room at the end of the corridor, right next to hers. Link's. So he did come back.