On the Run

Hunter turned the next block as quick as he could taking many twists and turns. He couldn't be brought to the orphanage, not yet anyway. Not until he found the truth behind his parents death. He didn't buy the media's story. They said it was just a oven fire in the mansion, while he was at school.  Hunter paused for a minute, gasping for breath, hoping he'd gotten far enough that they wouldn't find him during his short pause. He had broken his rules. The rules he had created , meant to keep himself safe. 

Rule number one, never go onto the open roads, it is too easy to get caught. Rule number two stick to the narrower alleys, they are too narrow for a car to pass through. Rule number three if you get caught, do whatever you can to get away. Rule number four, don't get caught in the first place. Rule number five, never ever ever ever let the dogs sniff you out. Every day, change your scent, whispered Hunter quietly to himself. Then he heard them, the barking of dogs and he sped away.

"What is our next move" asked Sergeant Scruffy. But all was quiet, too quiet. The dogs stopped their barking and the city went to sleep. "Take the team home, we'll find him tomorrow, Babette ordered, " He mustn't be far, besides, we have more urgent  matters on our hands." And just like that, the troops backed away emerging out of the dark, grateful to finally be able to rest. It wasn't their  first day searching, that boy, he took up all of their time. Babette wished she could just forget about it all and him, but something inside of her told her to get him, take him home. Save him, before it's too late.