Found

Found. That's what he was, thought Hunter, found. "Found" he said aloud. The word felt like fire on his unguarded tongue. "Yup", said Babette "your found alright. Now let's hurry up and take you to the orphanage." He had to get away, he just had to. He had to find out the real reason behind  his parent's death. But, what if it was nothing? What if it really was an oven fire while his parents were warming up leftovers? No, it couldn't be could it? Panic crossed his mind. It  showed on his face as well. 

Babette saw the boy panic. She thought about what she'd do when she got back to the orphanage. Surely he would make some friends, right? Babette didn't like the McIsaac kid. Hunter his name was, as she saw it monogrammed onto the worn out backpack, if it was his.  "You're coming with me" she said, and he did.

Hunter thought about why he had been running away. It all seemed so stupid now that he thought about it. Hunter decided that the death really had been a kitchen fire and went with Babette. He got his backpack and left. The floorboards creaked under their feet, but not the happy exciting creaks that made you feel like you were inside of a haunted house,no. It creaked with sadness, like the house recognized that Hunter wouldn't come back. Hunter slowed his walking taking as long as he could to get to the orphanage. He knew the orphanage kids wouldn't like him. They were all brought to the orphanage when they were babies, Hunter had heard. Never had they met someone who had lost the family they had known all their life. 

Babette hustled Hunter along. The dogs sniffed at Hunter, they seemed to like him. Hunter went into the building with Babette.