Chapter 16: Melissa Christine Braxton

[Marcus POV]

I slept like a log in my bedroom after reading Sophie's information. Nothing stood out from those files; her 'supposed-to-be' mother -–the maid that stole her was now an employee of bakeshop and his stepdad was a carpenter. It seems that she's a smart kid even from her childhood so passing the entrance and acceleration exam will be easy for her.

Because of her intellect and a person who sought justice everytime, she runs for vice president while the prince became the president when we turn in second year. As the students' representative, they searched for the criminal and love blossomed between them along the way.

Well I don't care if they become an item. As long as they don't hinder me to locate the person that will be the reason for my death, then I won't bother them.

---

I heard a commotion when I went inside the school gate. When I came to source of that noise, there are three men that are muttering something which I can't understand, I walked closer to them to hear them properly when they suddenly face at my direction with sparking eyes.

Are these people inlove with me? They're not my type though-

"Miss Melissa!!"

"Good Morning Miss Melissa!!"

"You are really pretty today, Miss Melissa!"

I suddenly turned to my back and saw a young lady covering her face with her ash hair styled in pigtails.

Oh my goodness! This girl is my third suspect.I don't need to snoop around this girl, guess luck was still on my side.

I need to look at her actions closely. I gulped as I anticipate the next sentence

"R-really? Im not that pretty s-so..
SHUT YER TRAPS!! LISSENIN' TO THOSE YAPPIN' VOICE BLEED MA EARS! YA GETTIN CHEEKY WID ME, ARENTCHA?! FOOKIN SHITES!!"

Melissa spatted which made me dumbfounded. I can't believe the change of her tone in just a matter of seconds but what shocked me more was these three guys didn't mind her depreciating talk about them and instead they are smiling ear to ear with a flushed face.

They bowed at Melissa and skipping while going inside the school as if this exchange seems normal for both parties. Is it safe to assume that those guys are masochist?

When those guys left, I looked at the girl in front me, contemplating on that kind of attitude. As if my thoughts were loudly spoken, she turned at my direction and hid her face again on her pigtails while blushing.

For a glimpse moment, I felt that she gave me a death glare before looking down again

Her voice was shaking, " I'm sorry, I thought no one would be here" she bowed at me, "I'm Melissa Christine Braxton from class 3"

This girl really fidgets a lot. I was about to say something  when she ran inside the school leaving me here at the entrance.

"Who is that girl?" I recognized that voice so I looked behind me.

"She said that her name was Melissa. Why?"

"Nothing. Hey, lets have deal again, you in?"

"You really never win Skyler," I smoothen out the creases that are forming between my brows. "Then can you disclose the contents of the deal again? What do you want?"

He pointed at me,"If I have better grades than you in arts and language, you will attend to my celebration for the next month"

I let out a snort because of how rigid his deal this time,"But you are good at that, aren't you? Are you giving yourself an edge? I didn't know that you can be cunning"

"Well, I just learned something from someone – to use your skill to fullest extent"

Wait, He said celebration earlier right? My heart slightly raced. If my ears heard it right, then it would be that event.

"May I inquire that celebration you're talking about? Is that your birthday, Skyler?"

Skyler widely smiled," That's right, I'm surprised you remember that"

So my guess was correct after all. The  celebration would be the heroine and Skyler met for the first time. She was hired at the last minute to arrange pastries in the party, since her mother who was the employee of the bakeshop that was ordered to prepare pastries. The bakeshop manager trusted her immediately and let her to work as a helper for that day.

What should I do?

I really don't want to go there, I might raise my death flag without me realizing but sadly, that event is required for us noble to go. Can I just be excused? Feigning a sickness perhaps?

Skyler furrowed his eyebrows. "Hey, are you thinking of not going? I won't allow it."

"Stupid fishpaste, we are REQUIRED to attend that event, you know?", I wryly smiled.

He flicked my head, "watch your language, young man. I just thought that you might plan for an excuse for not attending"

It hurts! I touched my forehead even if I can't see it, I'm sure it is swollen given how warm it is. I gave him an icy stare in return.

" It's not even considered as a profanity. But you are correct, I ought to make an excuse for your celebration.Then if I won, you need to run in Academy butt naked"

His beaming expression earlier suddenly changed.

"Huh? Why are you making heartless demand?! Where did that even came from?!"

"If you don't like it, then just walk butt naked"

"Isn't it the same?!!!"

---

Once again, I taught my classmates Mathematics and some topics that are easy in finance while Skyler tackles topics in language and arts. I felt that somehow the atmosphere of this class was different compared as before, they seem more tolerable on my actions instead of sneakily darting hostile looks.

A week after the exams, the test results came, it was a close fight; Skyler managed to beat me in Arts, language but I got higher total average score so I am the top of my class. When I saw the top three achievers of whole first year and obviously, I'm the top 1 while Skyler is at second place as I laughed at his rank, my eyes went to the third rank of this list — Ryan Juniper Amber of class two.

Many people were stunned at this list aside from the fact that I am at the top, a student from class 2 managed to beat more than half of class 1, my class.

This person, my last suspect is now within my reach. What should I do?

"That purple hair.. Aren't you that infamous guy in class one?"

When I looked around, I saw a red haired man that was crossing his arms

Shit...

The man in front of me is Juniper, the fourth suspect.