Chapter 2: Abeonim's Love

Upon returning to the Detention Center, Captain Ri must make a tough decision. Confused and overwhelmed, Ri Jeong Hyeok received a surprising call.

Captain Ri was escorted by the NIS agents to his detention cell. Looking around, he walked in and sat on the floor. His hands covering his face, he was relieved and thankful that Yoon Se-ri overcame her battle with death and can now recover.

NIS Agent Han Dong-Ho opened Captain Ri's detention cell. "Mr. Ri, Chief Kim would like to see you in his office right now."

Captain Ri stood up and followed Agent Han.

In his office, Chief Kim is seen reading something on his laptop. An article on the news about a plane crash.

Captain Ri entered Chief Kim's office. He showed his respect by bowing his head. "Mr. Ri, please take a seat," Chief Kim offered.

"I wanted to talk to you about something very important Mr. Ri," Chief Kim sounded serious.

Nervous, Captain Ri started looking for cameras or wire taps around his office to check if they were being recorded.

"Don't worry Mr. Ri, nobody can hear us here", he assured Captain Ri. "I called you today because I wanted to discuss something important that you should consider. So, I would like to ask that you keep an open mind about what I am going to ask you," Chief Kim said.

"What is this about?" Captain Ri curiously asked Chief Kim.

"We usually ask defectors this question. I am here to talk to you about the possibility of staying here, if you would like that," Chief Kim said. "I know that you are from a powerful and influential family in North Korea so, this is not something that you can take lightly. The decision is up to you but, before you give me an answer, there is someone who would like to talk to you," he informed Captain Ri.

Chief Kim stood up and asked Captain Ri to follow him to the computer desk. He gestured Captain Ri to take a seat in front of the computer. He pressed the answer button and to Captain Ri's surprised it was his father, Director Ri Chung-Ryeol.

"Abeonim", surprised to see his father on the line.

"I will leave the two of you alone," Chief Kim excused himself and went out of the room.

Jeong Hyeok looked at his father and said, "I'm sorry Abeonim. I am truly sorry for making you worry."

"Jeong Hyeok, I cannot say that I am okay with your situation right now. But, as your Abeonim, I would like to say that I somehow understand you," Director Ri said. "I do not agree with the way you do things, but I have always told myself that you are indeed your mother's son. I can see her heart in you and I can see it in your eyes right now. I guess that's why you are there," he said lovingly.

"You are talking to me right now because Chief Kim and I have spoken about the results of your investigation," he continued. "I believe Chief Kim have already asked you an important question. As your Abeonim, there is nothing more I could hope for but to be with you and see you grow and build your own family," breaking to tears as he tries to finish his sentence.

"Your Eomeonim and I have talked about this last night and we both agreed to accept whatever your decision may be. As long as your heart is happy, and you are happy, we will be okay. Don't think about my position. Don't think about how we are going to hold up. We are going to be okay," Director Ri said.

Captain Ri gently looked into his father's eyes.

"Abeonim, when Mu Hyeok died, I was lost and confused. I did not know how to deal with the heartbreaking reality that I will never be able to see my older brother ever again. I shut the world out and swore to never live a happy life because I felt that I have failed to protect Mu Hyeok," tears started falling from his Jeong Hyeok's eyes. "I did not know how to talk to you or Eomeonim about how that feeling haunted and killed me inside. I did not know how I would be able to measure up to Mu Hyeok or to make you proud," he added.

"But hearing all this from you, everything changed. I am grateful that you are my Abeonim. You have always looked out after Mu Hyeok and me. I know that you only wanted to help us secure both our future. It must have been difficult for you to lose Mu Hyeok and I apologize for not being able to be someone you can lean on," Captain Ri endearingly said.

"Abeonim, I deeply apologize for putting you in this situation. Please know that whatever I will decide today, I love you and Eomeonim and I am grateful and blessed to be your son," Jeong Hyeok assured his father. "Let's not make this call any longer so that no one suspects you. Please extend my love to Eomeonim," he said.

"Take care Jeong Hyeok. Stay Strong. Everything will be alright," Director Ri told Jeong Hyeok.

"You too Abeonim, take care," Captain said as he ended the call.