Chapter 4

Hearth

I had known only two kind people Who didn't judge me as soon as they knew about my deafness before meeting Blitzen. Inge and Andiron. Now to have Blitzen just ask me to teach him how to sign after only knowing me for a few short minutes was extremely shocking. Why would he want to learn? What did he want from me? How could I ever pay him back for manufacturing the tanning bed? Before I could think anything else, Blitz got my attention by tapping my shoulder.

"Hey buddy? Could we start now?" He looked nervous but curious and I couldn't help smiling very slightly which for me was a full grin. Sure.'

We started with the Alphabet. A.' I signed, my hand in a fist with the thumb sticking out on the side.

As time went on I moved onto more than just letters. Thank you, sorry, hungry, please, hurry and burden. After that though, Blitzen was tired and we ended up going to sleep.

The next morning I awoke to the amazing smell of bacon. My stomach rumbled and I grimaced. I was so hungry but I was hesitant to go out and have Blitzen tell me that I didn't get to eat. No., I reminded myself. He was not like my father., One part of me however was scared that Blitzen would finally get tired of me, call me a burden and make me leave.

The dwarf seemed to be very good at interrupting me at just the right times because my tanning bed was shut off and then opened.

"Hey buddy! You want some breakfast?" I nodded hesitantly and offered him four gold. He shook his head and pushed my hand away.

"You don't have to pay for anything here Hearth? You are my friend, guest and as welcome to eat without payment as anyone." Friend? Hearth? Nobody besides Andi had ever called me Hearth? HEARTH?' I asked, and Blitzen's smile turned slightly hesitant.

"Yeah... Unless you don't want me calling you that?" I motioned for the pen and paper I'd used yesterday and he handed it to me.

You can but only if I can call you Blitz?' The dwarf broke into a positively huge grin.

"Of course you can. Now come on Hearth, let's go eat breakfast." And for the first time since Andi's death,I could eat as much as I wanted without having to pay.

AN: Hey, I hope this formatting is better. I hope someone reads this. Please review, constructive criticism would be appreciated. Blitzstone101