Chapter 9

Lily=>

"If you're going through hell, keep on going." Winston Churchill

Pounding disrupts my sleep and I pounce down to the front door. I had no plans with anyone, and the idea of an unexpected guest confuses me.

I rip open the door in all my disheveled glory.

"And you are?" I assess the formally dressed guard. He shoves past me. "Excuse me!" I snap. "Who are you?"

"Protocol Checkup," he states monotonously, then cracks a smile after checking me out.

"One moment," I excuse myself and rush to the bathroom. I comb my long dark locks into a tight bun, and use hair spray to keep the curls at bay. My night wear will have to suffice for now. I proudly walk out to address the guard.

"Have you given the subject a shot today," the man eyes the monster skeptically.

"No," I reply, "I just woke up. Why are you even here?"

"Protocol checkup," he replies.

"You already said that! I want to know why," I stress, "and your name."

"Paul," he tosses me a suitcase and I stumble back from the unexpected weight. Surely they hid a miniature herd of elephants in here; or maybe bricks.

"And this is?" I question.

"The new dosage of medication to incapacitate the subject. You will be giving him this formula from now on. Are we clear?" He takes out a syringe and walks towards Sevastyan.

"No!" I yell. "We are not clear. Do you have any identification, sir?" I mock. "This monster's medication is given to him before breakfast. Unfortunately for you, breakfast does not start until another hour. So he can go off and eat you, sir," I threaten.

The man grimaces.

"Adrianna!" My father barges through the door huffing and puffing. "I came over as soon as I heard," he coughs.

"Heard what?" I ask, never taking my eyes off the pseudo-guard.

"Protocol checkup," he simply states and straightens himself. "See here," he waits for a name.

"Paul," the guard assists.

"See here Paul," my father starts again, "Adrianna is a very meticulous woman, and showing up unannounced will cause difficulty. Tell your superior to schedule these protocols with her. Otherwise, she will not be held accountable for your accident. Or any others who impose on her."

"Yes, sir," the guard barks. Well now I see where his respect goes. "I am to administer the first of the new drug to the subject, sir," Paul proclaims.

"Very well," my father concedes.

During the whole transaction, I ponder over the many places this ordeal could have occurred at, instead of in my home. This is my apartment, not their office.

Paul-the guard- sticks the drug into Sevastyan's arm. I fidget at how uncomfortable Sevastyan is.

The drug takes a moment to become effective; and it is evident when it becomes effective. Sevastyan's scowl deepens, and a groan gurgles from his throat.

"Okay, get out," I order the two men. I need to change out of my attire, and I refuse to leave the two idiots with Sevastyan.

After ushering them out I check on Sevastyan before heading to my room. He breaks out into a cold sweat, and all I can do is give him water.

I dress, grab my lucky necklace, and slip on my boots.

I then enter the kitchen and begin breakfast. "Sit at the bar, Sevastyan. If you pass out I want to know before tripping over your body," I command. "The protocol checkups should be less and less frequent."