Chapter 16

Louis led me into a small red brick shop with an intricately painted sign; "The Golden Peacock".

"Lou, what is this place?" I inquired, confused.

"You'll see," he winked.

We walked through the emerald doors and into an art gallery. The featured artwork was a series of scientific illustrations juxtaposed against watercolor backgrounds.

"These are absolutely gorgeous!" I exclaimed, looking at an octopus set against a multicolored background that resembled the northern lights.

"I thought you might like it," Louis smiled, lacing his fingers with mine.

I could feel my cheeks blushing as I looked into his crystal blue eyes. "Thank you so much, Louis. For all of this."

"You deserve it. You're an incredible human being with a strong heart. And a brilliant little scientist, always searching for answers," he replied with a wink. He knew me so well.

We wandered around The Golden Peacock, inspecting every last piece of artwork in awe. I could feel Louis' gaze intently watching as my face lit up at the sight of each new piece. From the corner of my own eye, I could see his face light up, as well.

When we completed the path around the gallery, we walked back out into the warm summer evening. Hand in hand, we found our way back to the parking deck, where Louis kindly opened the passenger-side door for me.

But before allowing me to get in, he lifted my chin for a quick peck on the lips.

"I can't imagine a better person to spend this night with, Valerie. Thank you."

I looked at Louis' lips, wanting more. I could feel the air in my lungs escape as he wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace. I returned the gesture, and buried my face in his chest, taking in the sweet smell of his cologne.

"Let's just run away together and live on a tropical island where we can drink coconut drinks with little umbrellas and wear bathing suits everywhere we go and never wear shoes ever again and swim with the fish and learn how to sail," I mumbled into Louis' chest, feeling my eyes get warm with tears.

His chest shook with laughter and I looked up into his eyes, "you've got it all planned out, don't you?"

I looked at his chest, slightly embarrassed that I had blurted something so silly. He kissed my forehead, understandingly.

"Well, it was just a thought," I snapped.

He laughed again, squeezing me closer, "you've got science fish to fry. I can't let you give that up for a good time on a remote island. If it's too remote, we'd turn into vicious cannibals."

I laughed, "I guess you're right. But you have to admit, it's a pretty good idea."

He smiled and pressed his lips to mine, "it's a brilliant idea, no doubt."

"Maybe it can be our backup plan," I replied.

"It will be our backup plan," he said, taking a step back and helping me into the car.

And with that, we drove through the golden city lights and back into the inky darkness of the countryside.