Chapter 12

"The Fourth of July is in a few days, have you got any plans?" My father asked the question as if he assumed I had plans with Louis.

"I just planned on the usual cook-out hopping with you and Anna and fireworks from our boat." I shrugged. Louis hadn't asked about my plans for the day and I hadn't really thought much about it until my father asked.

"Ah, well I just thought Louis would have something planned for you guys," he replied. I knew it.

"I'm here to spend time with you, dad. Louis' company is a nice luxury, but you two come first." I answered.

"Look at Val being all sentimental, that's cute," Anna joked, waving her burger around.

I laughed and shook my head, "I mean, what would I do without your bug spray cologne on the Fourth of July, dad?"

He chuckled, "keeping mosquitos away is key, and it's an art form that I take pride in."

"No worries, pop. You've definitely mastered the art," Anna replied.

The sun had already set behind the mountains as we cleaned up our dinner plates from the deck. I stood at the rail and looked across the lake, stretching my back and stomach to help digest my dinner.

"Dad wants to know if you want ice cream?" Anna asked, walking up to my side and leaning her elbows against the rail.

"You think I'd pass on ice cream? I don't care how full I am. Bring it on!" I replied, slapping Anna's back.

She turned around to walk back into the cabin but stopped short.

"The guys who rented the Wilson place are planning a bonfire later this week. I guess Jonah and Libby know them, they invited us. So if you and Louis want to join, you're more than welcome." Anna continued back into the cabin without waiting for a reply, knowing that I'd love to go to a bonfire. But I was unsure of how Louis would feel about it.

I thought about my summer thus far, and suddenly felt guilty for not spending more time with Jonah and Libby. Going to the bonfire would be good, as long as it didn't make Louis feel uncomfortable. And it couldn't hurt meeting new people here at the lake. I decided that I'd go, and that I'd feel out how Louis felt about it the next time I saw him.

I picked at the splintering wood railing and heard Anna come back out. She handed me my ice cream and hopped up to sit on the railing.

Kicking her feet like a child, she inquired, "so how did things go on the Louis front, today?"

I smiled and looked at my ice cream. "I guess we're just going to see where the summer takes us and figure it out when the time comes to leave the lake."

Anna nodded, licking her ice cream. I could see the hint of a smile begin to spread across her face, but she didn't say anything.

"How's Libby?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Libby is great, I guess she has a pretty serious boyfriend. She met him at school, they're both into math. Who knew," Anna joked. Libby had always been smart, it was a running joke that even though we went to different schools, we still competed to see who could get the best grades.

"And Jonah?" I prodded, knowing Anna had always thought he was cute.

She rolled her eyes, "he has a girlfriend. He starts college this fall. And he wants to study business," she said flatly.

"That's a shame," I replied, shaking my head.

"Yeah, who studies business?" She snorted. We both laughed, knowing I had been referring to him having a girlfriend.

We fell silent for a moment, and I watched the fireflies float near the trees and among the tall grass. It was dark, and I could see the fires begin to dot the edges of the lake.

Anna and I finished our ice cream cones and continued to admire the scenery. Back home, it was difficult to see many stars because of the light pollution. But at the lake, you could see the ghostly shape of the Milky Way smeared across the night sky.

"I guess we should go help dad dry the dishes, huh?" I asked, looking up at Anna, still sitting on the deck rail.

She was lost in thought, looking out across the water. "I suppose so," she said, distantly.

"Alright. What's on your mind?" I asked, putting my hand on my hip and resting my other elbow in the rail.

"I don't want summer to end." She looked down at me, her face serious and straight. "I always miss you when you're away at school."

I sighed, feeling the same way. "Anna, it's okay. We still have over a month left before we go back to mom's, and then I have another few weeks before I go back to school."

Anna sighed, "I know. But it always seems to go by so fast. And then you're a thousand miles away, again."

Going to university away from home was difficult, but it was the path I had chosen. What was difficult for others to understand was the fact that I also felt like school was my home. Many people don't realize how challenging it can be to have your heart split between two places you love.

I hopped up onto the railing next to Anna and put my arms around her. "It doesn't matter how far away I am, you know that it doesn't mean I love you any less. And you always have something to look forward to when I'm away."

"What's that?" She asked.

"Me coming home." I kissed her cheek and hugged her tighter.

"I love you, Val." Anna said as she put her arm around my shoulders.

"And I love you, Anna." I replied.