Chapter 2

My dad's Jeep Cherokee rattled up the gravel drive to our family cabin. I had always loved this place growing up, the trees stood tall like green giants and the mountains are always beautiful during the summer. I always imagined I was an explorer, and my father had shown me several fresh spring-fed streams and creeks, so I always felt like I could survive on my own in the wilderness. 

But this summer would be different. Our parents had gotten a divorce last year, so our mom wouldn't be joining us. Anna and I were both old enough to understand what was going on, but holidays and vacations would never be the same, again. And I think that bothered us the most. 

As we pulled up to the cabin, excitement washed over me. I was really hoping that Louis would be spending his summer on the lake, and I think Anna was secretly hoping the same. Our favorite thing to do when we were younger was to sit on the dock and watch him ride the jet-ski or wakeboard, always secretly hoping he'd ask us to join him. He had perfectly bronzed arms, and shaggy dark-copper hair. The last time I had seen him, he had gotten a tattoo on his arm, which I had considered pretty sexy. And who could forget his piercing blue eyes? 

Anna and I got out of the car and grabbed our bags, but not before sneaking a peek across the lake to see if Lou and his family had arrived for the summer. I sighed, and I heard Anna groan. There were no cars parked at his family's lakehouse. 

"That's it!" Anna mumbled, "I'm walking home, see you in a few months, Val." We laughed, but we were both a little disappointed. 

"Where is everyone, dad?" I asked.

"Well, we're here a few days before the weekend, so I'm sure they'll all be here in a few days. It's Memorial Day weekend, everyone comes to the lake for that!" He exclaimed. "But until then, who's ready for some fishing?" He held up the new fishing poles with a big grin, and we knew we had been suckered into an afternoon of fishing. 

"Dad. Why are we still out here? Nothing's biting." Anna complained.

"Patience is key, young grasshopper!" He replied.

I elbowed Anna, "yeah, Anna. Besides, what else is there to do? At least we're getting a nice tan. Maybe our skin won't be as transparent by the time everyone shows up!" I leaned back in the boat and stared up at the blue sky as whispy white clouds passed over. 

"I hope they show up, soon. I don't know how much more of this I can take!" Anna replied.

"The Carmichael's said they were driving up tomorrow, and the Doughty's will be in on Friday. Until then, can I just enjoy some quality time with my girls?" 

"What about the Tomlinson's? Have you heard from them?" I asked, the curiosity was killing me. 

"Well, I haven't heard from them since their Christmas card. But I haven't heard any different, so I assume they'll show up sometime this weekend." Dad said as he reeled in an empty line. "They always do."

"Good, we need our annual eye candy." Anna said as she leaned over the side of the boat and splashed me. 

We laughed, and I couldn't help but feel like a kid again. "Hey, you little stinker! Cut it out!" I squealed. Just as we were in the middle of a splash war, we saw a nice car pull into the Tomlinson drive way. We froze in anticipation. 

We watched as Johanna, Mark, and Louis's three sisters got out of their car and carried a couple bags into their lakehouse. We sank back into the boat with a sigh. No Louis.

"Well, look at that! We aren't alone, anymore!" Dad exclaimed. 

"Great." I said with a sigh as I rested my head on my fist. Anna sank into the same position, disappointed. 

"Well. Are you guys ready for dinner?" Dad asked, reeling in another empty fishing line.

"Yes!" We said in unison. 

As our father was grilling our dinner, Anna and I sat on the end of our dock with our feet in the lake. I looked across the water at the Tomlinson's lakehouse and tried to imagine why Louis wasn't here. We'd grown up on the lake together during the summers, and we had been fairly close as children. Once we got older, we grew apart. Hormones and gender roles can do that to a friendship. 

We used to climb trees together and we'd take his parents' canoe out on the lake, where we'd pretend to be pirates. Puberty hit and I got awkward while he got more attractive, so I kept to myself and pretended to be preoccupied during the summers on the lake. 

"I see the Wilson's cabin finally sold, maybe it'll be full of cute boys for us to drool over?" Anna joked, doubtful yet hopefully. 

"I doubt we could be so lucky. But at least Libby and Jonah Carmichael will be here, they're always fun. Remember when we snuck that expensive bottle of wine from their parents and sat around the fire?" I laughed, kicking water.

"We were so cool! I didn't even get buzzed. Remember when Jonah said the rope on the tire swing didn't need replaced and then it broke and he busted his face?" Anna and I were laughing so hard that we hadn't noticed the black sports car pull into the Tomlinson's driveway. 

"Wait!" I stopped laughing. "Anna. Who's car is that?" I asked, pointing across the lake.

We sat still, waiting to see if we saw anyone. 

"Dinner's ready, ladies!" Our dad yelled from the deck. We jumped, startled and broken from our concentration. 

"Do you think..." Anna started.

"I'm not sure. I guess we'll find out!" My stomache growled, "Let's go eat. We can creep better when it's dark, anyway!" I joked and elbowed Anna. "Race ya to the table!"