Chapter 17

As we neared the lake, it occurred to me that I hadn't asked Louis about the bonfire. I grew nervous, unsure of how to approach the topic.

I dove in, "so Libby and Jonah invited us to a party tomorrow night. They know the boys staying at the Wilson place and I guess they're having a cookout and a bonfire. Would you be interested in joining me?"

After a moment of silence, Louis replied, "I think I've got some time open in my busy schedule. I'll pencil it in." He briefly set his wild blue eyes on me, complete with a cheeky smile.

"Perfect! I feel like I haven't seen Jonah or Libby in ages. It'll be nice to catch up," I chirped, relieved that it had been so painless and easy.

"Jonah and I haven't spoken for some time. But it'll be nice to get the crew back together," he said, nodding in agreement.

As we drove into my driveway, Louis let out a soft sigh.

I sat for a moment, waiting for him to speak.

"I don't want this night to end, I had such a great time with you, Valerie." In the dim light of the dashboard, I could see Louis' expression fall and grow somber.

"We've still got time," I assured him.

He closed his eyes and clenched his fists around the steering wheel. I reached for his shoulder, "it'll be okay, Lou." I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"It just feels like the elephant in the room, doesn't it?" He asked, looking into my eyes with a pained expression.

I dropped my hand from his shoulder and looked down at my lap, unsure of how to respond.

"I should be getting inside," I replied.

"I'll walk you to the door," Louis said as he got out of the car to open my door.

We walked to the front door and stood there facing each other like it was the end to an awkward romantic comedy movie. I was still unsure of what to say to him, and he seemed to lack the words to continue.

Instead of speaking, Louis leaned down to kiss me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he held me in a close embrace. We didn't need words; not yet, anyway.

I watched as Louis' taillights drove away, and in the darkness of the cabin, I heard the floor creak.

"How'd it go?" Anna asked, stepping into the kitchen and turning on the light above the sink.

"Oh, where to begin? It was perfect. We ate dinner at a rooftop restaurant in the city and he took me to this fantastic art gallery!" I flopped down onto the couch with a dreamy sigh. "But then it all went south. He brought up the inevitable ending."

Anna sat on the arm of the sofa and rested her chin in her hands with a slight frown, "well now what?"

"I'm not sure. I feel like we're trying so hard to enjoy the present but the thoughts of the future creep in. It consumes nearly every thought of mine, and I imagine he feels the same way. But he said he would join us at the bonfire. So at least there's that," I absently picked at the material of the couch.

"How do you feel about distance?" Anna asked.

I looked at her, "I don't know. I can't imagine it's easy."

She rolled her eyes, "well of course it isn't easy. But at least this isn't the 1800s and you can video chat with him and not worry about your letters being lost somewhere along the pony express."

I laughed, "you're right. But the question is how does he feel about it? It isn't just about me."

"Why don't you ask him?" Anna said, standing up and stretching, "I'm going back to bed. Love you, pit stain."

"Goodnight, booger brain," I said with a laugh. It was an old running joke we had before going to bed, and we both loved it.

I sat alone in the living room, staring at the ceiling. Could distance actually work with the good foundation and friendship we had? I wondered what his thoughts on it would be.

I decided that the pros outweighed the cons, and I wanted to know. I deserved to know if we stood a chance.