A Twist in My Tail

Chapter 4

Emily

I remember fainting, but until I heard Hunter speak my name I was in a dream. The dream was of a snow leopard and a mountain lion with ice blue eyes, staring at each other with a male deer in between. Both cats clearly wanted the deer placed in an Autumn forest, but the mountain lion had a look of confusion on its face, taking a hesitant step back. The snow leopard took the chance to take the buck down, wrestling with the strong body of the young male until it laid limp in the dried leaves. The mountain lion just stood there staring at the snow leopard in disbelief, as clarity rose on its muzzled face.

"Emily." The dream ends, and I see the statue of the snow leopard in front of me once again. I turn my attention away from the cold eyed cat and see everyone staring at me. Anxiety rises in me as I begin to sprint towards the safety of the forest. I hear Hunter behind me, yowling at me in what I think was a way to say stop. But his pursuit only causes me to sprint harder than ever, until I hear a thud. I look back and see he had ran into a tree, figures he ran into the only one in the clearing. I quietly walk back to him, trying to calm my breathing. I look at the mountain lion, and see stretched clothes on its fit body. Giggling to myself I sit next to him. His pale blue eyes open briefly, meeting with mine. I smile as he huffs in annoyance, gently lifting his head to my hand.

I watch as his tail flicks aimlessly across his paws, and his ears are up in a amused way. I start to get up, and he yowls in protest. I give him a faint smile and begin to walk towards the woods. I hear him begin to follow as his steps turn from four to two. "Emily, what's wrong with you?" I stop taking a deep breath before I turn to look at him, "It's nothing. I just don't like people staring at me." Hunter took a step toward me, "There's more to it than that. Listen, you can tell me. I will not tell anyone anything you don't want me too." I shift my weight as he begins to walk towards me, "That's just it. There is nothing I can say. The only thing I remember is fainting and the dream I had." His eyes were on me as he stopped a few paces away, "What was the dream?"

I tell him about the dream, and when I finish he was speechless. I look at him for the answer when he finally speaks, "I had the same dream. I thought I was crazy, but now I don't know. What could this mean?" I watch as he rakes a hand through his dirty blonde hair, "I don't know. But I don't intend to find out either. That's why I am running, I need to be alone and try not to be found. It just feels right." I began to walk away when Hunter grabbed my hand, "You don't need to go. You can figure it out here. And I can teach you everything about the shift, all you have to do is trust me." I smile, and he tenses, "Hunter what's wrong?" He puts a hand up, signaling me to be quiet. Hunter begins to sniff the air and his eyes widen, "Coyotes. Quick run Emily." He begins to push me as we both start to run. He shifts into the mountain lion and sprints alongside me as barking can be heard behind us.

Hunter stops and turns toward the barking. I slip to a stop on the damp Autumn leaves covering the forest floor, "Hunter, what are you doing." A deep growl echoes from his chest as his tail flicks around with a new meaning. He then begins to run towards the coyotes. A new feeling rises from deep within me, that I need to help him. So I run towards the brawl that had started as soon as Hunter left my sight. Something inside of me had changed and I no longer had the urge to be alone.

I got to the brawl and heard a pained yowl, and saw a coyote on top of Hunter. A growl erupted from my chest as I ran toward the coyote. I tackle the mutt to the ground, and see a shocked look on its muzzled face. I let out a hiss and begin to advance on the coyote. My body begins to shift as I sprint toward the unexpected coyote. My feet turned to paws as my legs shifted to those of my cat. Claws emerged from my finger tips as they turned to paws themselves. Then with one jump to avoid an attack, my body shifted the rest of the way. I make my way to Hunter and stand in front of him. Crouching down and hissing at the confused mutts. With one lunge the pack of ten coyotes ran, yelping and having their tails between their legs. I turn around to see Hunter unconscious, nudging his head slightly with my own. His eyes open slightly, then close again. The scent of blood is heavy in the air, as a huge gash in his side seems to pour blood out like a waterfall. I look around, helpless of what to do in this situation.