A Tale as Old as Time

Chapter 9 

Emily

"I have to what? What does that even mean?" With a grunt Natalia paces around a bare tree, "It means that you have to reconnect all of the races. We were once one group, but after your ancestor died, everything fell apart. Now it is your destiny to bring them all together and live in peace again." I stare in awe at her as she explains what is supposed to be my destiny, "How can I bring all of the shifters to peace, if I don't even know how to tell if I can barely hide my scent? Explain it to me. How can this possibly work with a person like me?" Anger began to rise within me as I thought of what I had just learned. Natalia just smirked, "Easy, all you have to do is learn the divine language. All shifters know it, and it is the way you will be able to speak to all of them. You will use your scent to attract the shifters around, and speak about compromise." 

I begin to growl, "And what about the other predators? Back in the United States I was attacked by a pack of coyotes. I can not take down big predators like lions on my own." My anger caused her to laugh, "Your scent is only for shifters, meaning those coyotes were shifters as well. But before we get into that, let's start with what you are." I glare at her and sit on a nearby rock, "Okay shoot. Tell me all I need to know about the snow leopards."

With a smile Natalia cleared her throat, "Well the race of shifters are known for being very antisocial. But over the years, we have been known to be found in small groups. We stay low and hidden, making sure that we are not to be seen. Now the real thing I want to talk to you about is the statues." I lean forward on the rock I had perched on, almost falling on my face. With a laugh she continued, "The statue is a source of power. It is a symbol of your home, and territory. As long as you stay in your territory, you will be as strong as an African lion. And as fast as the cheetahs on the Savannah. Basically, it will be like you just took a shot of espresso while also on crack."

I shiver as the memories of the statue come back to mind. The blank void, "Natalia, how do you connect with the statue?" She gave me a curious look, "What do you mean?" I sigh, "I think I have found my territory, but when I got to the statue everything got hazy. The first time I was in front of it, I fainted. But then I slept walked to it, and I was told that I was shifting. But I don't remember anything." Natalia contemplated this for a long moment. After a short while she had a look of clarity on her face, "You are returning home.That village was your home at one time, whether it be from a past life or your current one." I stare at her with a dumbfounded look on my face, and she just started to giggle. Natalia shifted and began to run towards the village. 

I however stood there, thinking about everything. I turn to look over the forests, only to see Tyler standing there. His large muscular body practically blocking out the sun, and his eyes seemed to be full of fear and pride at the same time. "Tyler is everything okay?" He quickly looks down at me, "Yes, I am sorry if I scared you. I just thought you were going to run away after your first day here. And lets just say I would not let you go without a chase." I smile at his remark, "Tyler, I wouldn't run from your hospitality. I just have a lot to think about right now. But thanks for the thought." He smiles and stands beside me, placing a hand around my shoulders. 

I flinch at the sudden show of sympathy and care. It was as if Hunter was here, with a smile I remember his scent and his blue eyes. He seemed close in my thoughts and I could almost see the dream forest we would meet in again. My smile broadens as I shift and run through foreign forests. Then I hear four large paws pad through the snow in a hasty pursuit after me. I let out a playful yowl as I make sharp turns through the trees and make my way back to the town.

I make it to the town only to see that I am in front of the statue. I also see Natalia in the corner of my eye. Then everything was out of my control, I was conscious but it all seemed like a dream. I watch as my paw take me closer and closer to the statue. Natalia shifts and places herself in front of me, letting out a hiss of disapproval, as if I was going toward her cub. Then she looks me in the eyes, and instantly backs off. My path continues as people stare at me, curiosity in their eyes as a look of awe was plastered on their faces.