Christmas Gifts

Bill

Christmas

"So you will have to squeeze in with Fred and George, and Ginny will share the room with Fleur," mum finished, looking a little harrassed.

Fleur amicably nodded next to me and I suppressed a smile as I saw Ginny turn her nose up that she thought no one saw.

Even though we had spent the entire summer together, my family didn't like Fleur as much as I had hoped they would. And sadly, the feeling was mutual.

While Fred, George and dad tried their best to deviate any conflict from taking place when we were all together, I knew they couldn't understand our decision to marry any more than the female weasleys did.

What came as an utter surprise to me was that it didn't bother Fleur as much as I had thought it would, to have her future in-laws not like her.

The day everyone had left to shop for new term's books for Hogwarts, leaving us both home alone, I had taken the opportunity to have a word with her about it.

As she had stood peeling potatoes in the kitchen for the dinner that night, I had sneaked up behind her, wrapping my arms about her.

"When was the last time I got a kiss from you?" I whispered, and watched pink blush crawl up her neck tantalizingly.

But instead of melting in my arms like she normally did, she tartly replied, "I believe eet was right before your sister rolled 'er eyes and rudely ahemed at us?"

I sighed, before nuzzling her behind her ear and saying, "I apologise for all that, love." Hearing this, she had turned in my arms and raised one of her eyebrows before saying, "you do not need to apologise. Zey dislike me only because zey love you."

Startled by this, I asked her, "and how did you figure that one?"

To which she smugly replied, "weell, zey love you. And zey theenk you deserve someone better zan me. Eet ees a good theeng though zat we are getting married next summer. Zey 'ave one year to figure eet out."

"Figure what out?" I frowned.
She looked at me like I had asked a stupid question, then answered, "zat there ees no one who weel love you more zan I do, of course." Hearing this, I had laughed, and had found that confidence incredibly enchanting.

As we made our way to a lavishly decorated dining table now, where everyone except Hermione and Tonks were present, my mind drifted to the last few months.

Once we were back from spending the summer at Burrow, there was barely any time for anything except work. Now that prophecy was destroyed and there was no need to stand guard for it, the Order was stationed by Dumbledore at the entrance of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade and even platform 9¾. Harry was given security from the ministry of magic now that everyone knew the dark lord had returned, but as a result of this, the dark side had started openly recruiting people, which was previously restricted due to secrecy.

All this while, things at Gringotts were getting more rigid. Goblins didn't want to favour any one side as opposed to the other, and so they had doubled the security at the bank, thoroughly checking anyone who was even slightly suspicious.

Fleur was now an active member of the Order. After her shift at Gringotts, she stood guard at Hogsmeade few days a week, and planned our wedding in the remaining time. We had finalized almost everything, except the location of the wedding.

Once the dinner was over, everyone was scattered around the living room, listening to a Christmas broadcast of Celestina Warbeck on the wireless set. She was mum's favourite singer, and so no one complained about her dull lyrics. No one except Fleur, of course.