Choices

Fleur

Nearly 24 hours after getting attacked, Bill finally showed signs of waking up. After reluctantly leaving his side to have a quick lunch, I had refused to leave my spot from next to him.

Exhausted and low-spirited, I idly ran my fingers through his hairs. Even though generally visitors were not allowed to stay the night in the hospital wing, a small exception was made by Madam Pomfrey to let atleast one person of the family stay beside him that wasn't a Hogwarts student.

According to her, Bill seemed physically fine now, even if he'd always have the scars on his face. However, we didn't quite know how the contamination from the bites would affect his behavior.

She thought it might do him good morally to have someone beside him whenever he woke up, and so I, Arthur and Molly took turns staying next to his bed, while his siblings, Harry and Hermione visited him twice a day.

Fred, George and the Weasley parents had found beds in Hogsmeade with extreme difficulty as it was getting completely booked by wizards coming in from all parts of the world, to pay their respect to Dumbledore.

As I sat next to Bill, mindlessly contemplating what would happen now that Dumbledore was gone, my fingers rested on his forehead and I felt him frown.

Immediately looking down, I saw his eyes were screwed tightly shut, and he grimaced as if something was causing him pain. "Bill? Can you 'ear me, amour?" I asked him, cupping his face.

Jumping up, I ran to the nurse station to see Madam Pomfrey arranging potions in a small cupboard.

"Madam Pomfrey! 'e is waking up!" I informed her, and together we rushed back to Bill's bed to see him gazing around him in confusion.

When his eyes landed on me, he bolted upright and asked, "Fleur? What are you doing here? What am I doing here? What happened?"

Reaching him, I threw my arms around him and felt my eyes well up.
"Now now, Ms. Delacour. Everything is alright. Let's do a thorough check of Mr. Weasley here just so we are sure he is fine, yes?"

Reluctantly, I moved away from him, even as he asked, "what in the god's name happened? Where are Ginny and Ron and Hermione? Is everyone alright?"

Madam Pomfrey started fussing over him, checking his eyes, and touching the sides of his face, as she replied to him, "You'll get all your answers, my dear. Just be patient for a few moments. Now, does this hurt? Something feel funny or different?"

After about 20 minutes of ministrations, she declared that he seemed to be fine, but she still wanted to keep him here for a few more days, just to be sure. All this while, Bill kept his eyes on me, frowning as he tried to remember.

After a few more instructions, she left us alone and I sat on the bed beside him, taking hold of his hands in mine.

Removing my wand, I murmured, "expecto patronus!" A pearly, translucent lioness erupted from it, stretching gracefully.

I spoke my message to it, saying, "Bill ees awake and fine, but weell stay een 'ospital for a few more days. Don't worry and take rest. Come visit een ze morning," before sending it soaring out of the ward.

Turning back, I saw him eying me patiently. Taking a deep breath, I started explaining everything to him.

I told him about the attack on the school, the attack on him, the chaos that ensued, Snape's betrayal, Draco Malfoy's escape, Dumbledore's death; detailing as much as I could by what I had heard since yesterday.

When I was done, his bright blue eyes were filled with unshred tears. His anguished eyes met mine and he whispered, "Dumbledore's really gone? I guess I never imagined what the world would be like without him. I just assumed he'd always be around."