Chapter 53

Chapter Fifty Three

I'll be the first to admit, I was expecting a lot of things to happen the moment I heard Kat's voice call my name. Most of them were bad since I'd pretty much blocked her number with every intention of cutting her out of my life.

What she did, however, took me completely off guard since it came from left field. You see, the moment I turned to face the music, all I saw was a blur of baggy grey and a dark blob and suddenly I had a grown ass woman leaping at me and smashing into my chest, laughing like a maniac as she squeezed my neck and buried her face in my shoulder.

"Whoof!" I wheezed in surprise, instinctively catching her around the middle as she wrapped her legs around my waist, clinging to me like a spider monkey. I stumbled a bit but remained steady otherwise since she was pretty light and I also had a little thing called body strength.

"You're an absolute jackass!" she happily squealed at me, laughing as she locked her ankles against my back, right above my tail, and nuzzled my shoulder with a grin. "I freaking hate you, you goober! You had me totally fooled!"

I frowned, blinking at the wall. She seemed oblivious to the fact that my two friends were gaping at us in absolute shock, confusion. I could see the 'WTF is happening here?!' on their faces plain as day and winced internally even though I'd already explained this to them.

"What do you mean?" I asked, slow and confused.

"What do you mean, what do I mean?" she asked, pulling back and looking at me with a wide, bright, stunningly beautiful grin from behind huge round glasses that made her already-pretty face look even more adorable. "You told me to live happily and blocked my number! I thought that was your way of saying goodbye, but here you are! Right outside my apartment!"

"Horst," Erika said slowly, staring at Kat as if she were some sort of alien, "who the hell is she?"

Kat pulled back and turned her head, and I realized for the first time that she looked way frumpier than the last few times we'd seen each other. She was wearing a baggy grey sweatshirt that covered her curves, her ridiculously long curly black hair had been pulled up into a messy bun, and she was wearing pink pajama pants that did nothing to show off her curves.

And yet, despite that, she still gave Erika a once-over and scanned her from head to toe, taking note of her lace choker, the leather jacket, her adorable black mini-dress and the thigh high stockings and boots. She then stared at my friend's baffled face and her eyes turned cold.

"Ahh," Kat drawled, unhooking her legs from around me and lowering herself to the floor with startling ease. I let go of her when she stepped between us, pushing her glasses up her nose as she leaned forward, peering up at Erika with a sigh. "So you're the doozy."

"Excuse me?" Erika asked, freckled face twisting.

Kat simply smiled and righted herself before letting herself fall backwards, right against my chest. I froze like a statue and stared at nothing, ears dragging low as a flush went across my cheeks, because right then and there she raised her hands, arched her body into me, and caressed my neck with both hands in a way that showed off her bust even through her shirt.

"It means I don't really like you very much," Kat sighed, smirking as she patted my cheeks suggestively, wriggling against me in a provocative way. "I have a thing for Horst, you see... he's a great guy with a big heart and it makes me a little jealous that he liked you. I mean, I'm kinda possessive, you know? But... oh, that doesn't matter at all, right?"

"I'm sorry, but what the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Erika demanded, sassily cocking her hip and tossing her wild, fiery red hair with a defensive leer. "Who the hell are you?"