chapter 5

Hinata awoke with a start. The feeling of hands choking his throat and against skin was gone. His body had jolted upwards, causing a suprised Kageyama to shoot backwards from where he'd leant over his sleeping body.

Hinata felt a surge of hopeless sadness rush through him. Despite Kageyama's presence, he felt familiar, lonely tears drop down his face. And they wouldn't stop coming. The nightmare happened most nights, they'd vary in time and situation but it was always the same thing happening. Kageyama didn't quite know what to do in this situation. But his grandad had always hugged him and reassured him as a child when he'd hurt himself playing volleyball or have a nightmare.

His limbs moving by themselves, he wrapped an arm around Hinata's shoulders and pulled him close, gently rubbing his arm, mimicking his grandfathers magic hands that had seemed to take away all the pain in the world. At first, Hinata noticeable winced at the sudden contact, but then he seemed to relax a little more. Even though the unshakable heaviness in Shouyou's stomach lingered, it fluttered at the feeling of his body pressed against Kageyama's. He sunk into the warmth of his side, appreciative of the simple gesture. The setter's touch made the room a little brighter somehow, made life seem a little less bleak.

"Kageyama..."

"Shouyou it's ok."

The use of his first name made Hinata's chest tighten a little, the way it rolled off Kageyamas tongue so naturally. The way his voice sounded, low, husky and comforting. His arm traced circles on Hinata's back as he whispered words of comfort. It was a little awkward, after all Kageyama lacked the quiet tenacity of his grandfather. He didn't ask questions though, Shouyou silently thanked him for that.

They stayed like that for a while, sharing a mutual desire to stay in each other's arms. These feelings were new, but welcomed. Eventually they ended up pushing their two futons together, as silently as humanely possible as not to disturb anybody. Hinata clambered back in Kageyama's arms, snuggling into his chest. Focusing on his steady heartbeat, Shouyou still found himself crying, breath hitching with every tear.

"It's ok Shouyou, just go back to sleep, I've got you."

He held onto him a little tighter, much alike to a koala clutching to a stick of bamboo.

"Thank you Tobio..."

"You're welcome boke-hinata,"

Kageyama quietly chuckled at his remark, and that even make Hinata smile a little. Accidentally on purpose, Tobio planted a small kiss on the redheads cheek. If not for the darkness of the room, they would've seen each other's equally as flushed faces. And soon enough, in the warm embrace of his setter's strong arms, Hinata fell asleep again, dreaming about volleyball and Kageyama, as he should've been.