alternate ending rewrite

"Hinata's in danger Coach we have to do something!"

Sugawara pleaded. He could tell, something wasn't right, Hinata was not safe. It made sense now, putting the pieces together it seemed obvious all along.

"Yeah Coach please!"

"Listen kids, we don't even—"

"Let's just follow the car. If it ends up at Hinata's and everything looks okay, we'll go and accept we were wrong. But isn't it worth it if it means that maybe we can do something to help Hinata? Let's be real, but all knew something was wrong. Nobody wanted to say anything though, well now we need to."

Daichi backed up Sugawara, placing his hand on his shoulder.

"For Hinata."

"....Ok! But all of you are staying here, let me talk with the other coaches and—Daichi! You're coming with."

——

"PLEASE WAKE UP. COME ON. DON'T LEAVE ME."

Don't leave me.

Wake up.

I screamed until my mouth ran dry. The lake was in front of the car now. I had nothing. Nobody to fight for. I felt the car lurch forward as the water dragged it down. Even if I wanted to escape, there was no chance now. A vibration. Then another. Then another. I grabbed the phone again.

9+ messages from :

KARASUNO FLY!

KIT KATS AND CROWS

BAKAGEYAMA <3

SUGAMAMA

AND 10 MORE

I didn't get these before because there was no signal. Fuck. Oh no. I've made a mistake.

They did care.

I opened Kageyama's messages', I needed to see what he had to say before I died, even if I treated him like crap the other day.

Hinata? Are you ok?

Hina, What happened?

BOKE COME ON RESPOND ALREADY?

ARE YOU SAFE?

Please text me back Shouyou, even saltyshima is worried

I love you boke. Please please please just text us back so we know you're okay.

I started typing out a response, my final message for him and everyone. I turned to look back, maybe the last view I'd ever see.

Is that a—car? And someone's...yelling?

My vision was blurred and I couldn't quite make out who it was, but they where running, running towards us faster than I've ever seen anyone run before. So close—but so far away.

That's when the water hit.

Filling up the car like an empty tankard, slowly mocking me as I kicked and screamed and begged for her to just let me out. Unresponsive, she was too far gone for reasoning. I looked down at the small frail body in my arms, she had a ghost of a smile on her face. Did she suffer? Did it...hurt? Was she scared?

Was she hoping her big brother would come and save her...?

The people—I thought of them as the car sank more, it was all too fast now, time speeding up as the inevitable drew closer. Where they still catching up? Did I know them?

Maybe this is just a sick dream! If I close my eyes really tight, then maybe I'll wake up with Kageyama snoring a little next to me...

———

Beep!

Beep!

Beep!

Beep!

I...can hear someone...calling my name?
It's quiet though and I can't quite make it out.
Are you here to save me?
Am I already dead?
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TURN OFF THE BLEEPING THING?
It feels...strangely nice.

HINATA.

HINATA!

HINATA!

HINATA!

WAKE UP HINATA!

Calling my...name?

I...don't wanna wake up...it's nice here...weirdly.

"HINATA! You're alive! I guess you can't hear me though..."

I felt heaviness, like I weighed 1000kg. I couldn't open my eyes, all I could hear was his voice...Kageyama's voice. I can hear you!

"I'm sorry...I'm so so so so sorry I—"

Why are you apologising you have nothing to apologise for?!

"I was just thinking about myself and that's something you always hated."

I didn't hate it. I never hated you—

"God this is so dumb, I'm talking to a body."

Nononono Kags I can hear you! Wake up stupid body, WAKE UP.

"I love you...sorry I didn't tell you in person and I'm not sure if you got my texts. I just wish I could've—done something."

Hearing his voice break as I heard a small sob broke something in me...Kageyama...

"Just...just give me a sign...something to tell me you're okay and you're gonna come back to me?"

I fought so hard to move but nothing would.

"Here...my hand. Just, give it a little squeeze if you can hear me or something!"

My eyes...they're opening...light I can see light!

"l...love you....Kag...ey...ama."

AND—SCENE!

I hope the eased the pain of the real ending <3
The "Did she think her big brother was going to save her" line hit me and I was writing it oop—

Stay tuned for a new fanfic, I'll release details so follow me if you'd like!