A change in the winds

Paradon and several others climbed the  steps of the dark tower that was the tomb of Rassilon. After several minutes of dark, stone stairs lit only by the flaming torches on the walls, they beheld the body of Rassilon, still lifelike, laying on a pedestal.

Rassilon, it had turned out, was not really dead. He had discovered the secret of immortality, and his mind still inhabited this place while his body slept. He had the power to return to life at any moment if he so desired.

Some had come to claim immortality, but had been tricked, and were turned to living carvings on the sides of the pedestal. Such had been the fate of Borusa, a President who was the Doctor's former mentor and had later kidnapped the first 5 incarnations of the Doctor and forced them to find a way through the traps in the tower.

The image of Rassilon's face appeared over his body and spoke with a deep, booming voice.

"Who dares disturb Rassilon?"

"I am Chancellor Paradon. We require your assistance, my lord," said Paradon.

"Do you seek immortality, Chancellor Paradon?"

"No, my lord. We seek your leadership. Gallifrey is in grave danger. We are in a time war larger than any we have previously experienced. Our defenses will soon fail. Our previous leader has failed us. Our hour of need has arrived. Help us, please!"

The image of Rassilon's face disappeared. For a moment, nothing happened. It seemed Rassilon had refused. Paradon sighed in defeat.

Just as Paradon and the others turned to leave, the body of Rassilon started to glow with a faint yellow light, and then seemed to explode with it. Rassilon was regenerating! His beard disappeared, his age fell away, and his hair turned black.
After the light faded, he sat up for the first time in millennia and tested his new voice.

"Rassilon is reborn!"

---

An hour later, Rassilon strode into the panopticon, where the entire high council was assembled and talking in hushed voices.
"That's Rassilon! They really did it!"
"It it really him?"
"Is he really back?"

Rassilon held up his hand, and the whispers ceased.

"My fellow Time Lords, it is I, Rassilon, come back to you in your hour of need. Above our skies is the greatest threat we have ever faced. The armies of evil have gathered to destroy us. Some think the end is upon us.
They are wrong. There is a solution. We will open the Omega arsenal, and use all of our assets to wipe the Daleks out of our constellation of Kasterborous! Then, we shall build the most powerful battle station ever constructed, so that no one will ever threaten us again!"

The high council cheered.

Romana looked out of her window as the twin suns of Gallifrey began to set. Things were not going well. If her people continued on this path, twilight would come to the Time Lords in more ways than one.