Thirteen

Chloe heard a knock at the door. She frowned and looked at the time. It was 8am.

Chloe was scared that it was Mark. She heard Steph opening the door. Chloe made her way downstairs. She frowned when she saw Grace and Esmè. "What's going on?" She asked.

"Esmè is coming to stay for a little bit. Please look after her," Grace said. She was crying. She kneeled down in front of Esmè. "Mummy loves you so much baby. Never ever forget that."

Chloe frowned. "Grace?"

"Please. Tell her that I love her. Don't let her forget it," Grace said as she turned and walked off.

Chloe walked over to Esmè. She saw how upset the little girl looked. She smiled. "Shall we go back to sleep for a little bit? Cause it's still night time isn't it?"

"Mummy?"

Chloe sighed. "Mummy has gone to do something. But you're going to stay here with aunty Chloe and nanny and Poppy too. Poppy will play games with you," she told her.

Esmè nodded. "Arm owie."

"Have you got a poorly?"

"Daddy do it. He gave me owie and mummy told him off and bings me here," Esmè said.

***

Chloe left Esmè in bed with Poppy. She walked downstairs to Steph. "What the hell is going on?" She asked.

Steph sighed. "I don't know. Grace isn't answering her phone. I'm worried," she said.

Chloe sighed. She had the feeling that there was something bad about to happen. She was scared. "Esmè is the only thing that Grace cares about. So why would she leave her?"

***

Tom arrived at Steph's and smiled when he saw Chloe. "How are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm okay. Have you seen Grace at work today? She isn't answering my calls," Chloe said.

Tom shook his head. "No. Rachel said she's taking some time off. Didn't she tell you?"

"No."

Tom nodded and sighed. He looked at her. "I'm sure she's fine. She probably wants some time away from the madness of the school."

***

Chloe and Poppy were sitting watching the TV. Steph came in and smiled. "How's two of my favourite girls?" She asked.

"We're okay. Poppy is waiting for Esmè to wake up so she can take her outside," Chloe said.

Steph smiled. Esmè had been telling her some things and it made her worried for Grace's safety. She looked at her daughter. "We need to talk."

Chloe stood up and followed Steph into the kitchen. "Esmè has been telling me something. Rob has been hurting her. He's been hurting Grace too."

***

Tom had come to take Chloe out for a few hours. Chloe sighed. "The police haven't found Mark yet. I'm actually scared to fall asleep. I always feel like I'm going to open my eyes and he'll be there," she admitted.

Tom smiled. "As long as I'm around, everything will be okay."

But before anything, there was a gunshot and Tom fell to the floor. But would he be okay? Or had Mark finally gotten rid of him for good?