IX.

The following morning, Grace, Caspian, and the Pevensies were pulled from breakfast.

"Your Majesties, Caspian, Lady Grace! Come quickly." A fuan had rushed in, fear radiating off of him. The group quickly disregarded their meals and exited the How, standing together on the lookout edge. A sea of silver chains with catapults and giant weaponry spinning on wheels poured from the trees. It was Miraz's army. Grace gulped. Her mouth was as dry as parchment. Their army was nearly quadruple their size. Edmund reached for Grace's hand just as she reached for his, and they both gave each other reassuring squeezes. Peter turned to the group.

"Call a meeting. We need a plan." The others nodded, Susan and Lucy retreating to the table chambers, while Caspian left to rally the Narnians for the meeting. Edmund and Grace stayed on the perk, their grips still tight on each other.

"I guess this isn't what you were expecting when you fell down that drain is it?" Edmund laughed dryly, looking at their intertwined hands. Grace laughed too.

"Definitely not, but what can one expect when they find themselves in another world?" She turned and smiled at Ed, but her face fell at his sullen look to their hands. She lifted his chin gently with her free hand, bringing his gaze to hers. His eyes swam with worry. "Hey, Ed it'll be alright. The Narnians may not be large in numbers, but they're large in bravery, and strength. We can take Mariz's little tinfoil army." Edmund laughed at this, but shook his head.

"It's not just the Narnians I'm worried about," Grace tilted her head. "It's you, Grace. I know you're strong and you did well at the raid, and don't get me wrong I'm not trying to underestimate you, but you've been in Narnia for only a week or so.." Grace winced at his words, Peter's similar words from the meeting ringing through her ears. Edmund continued. "..and I'm scared. I'm more scared than I've ever been for one of these battles before because you're here now and I've never had someone like you. I just- I just don't want you to get hurt." He finished quite breathlessly, only looking from the girl's face when he finished. Grace smiled and brought her hand to Edmund's cheek. He leaned in to the touch, placing his hand over hers and closing his eyes.

"Ed.. You don't have to worry about me! I know you will anyway, because you're very compassionate, which I adore about you, but honestly, I'm okay. Amathus taught me the bows and daggers expertly, and you've helped me with a sword. I don't flail it around anymore!" Grace's face lit up, standing a bit straighter at this sentence. Edmund laughed, still holding on to her hand on his cheek. Grace's smile dimmed until it was left softly on her lips. She continued gently. "I promise you that I can handle myself. It's you that I should be worried about, Mr King. You've got a huge target on your back, who knows how many Telmarines will be after you." Edmund shook his head with a small smirk.

"They'll have to catch me first." He bragged, which made Grace cackle with laughter. As she giggled, Edmund saw the dimples that he loved so much. Without thought, he reached forward and poked one. Grace's laughter died out, and she looked at him puzzled.

"What was that for?" He smiled.

"Your dimple. I like it." He gave a short response, yet still managed to make a blush crawl onto her cheeks. He laughed at her shyness and grabbed her hand, pulling her to the table chambers. Narnians filed in little by little after them, and soon the meeting began.

"Cakes and Kettledrums, that's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forests, alone?" Trumpkin was not fond of Peter's plan. Peter spoke out.

"It's our only chance." Grace stepped forward.

"I can go with her. Then she wouldn't be alone." Peter shook his head.

"No, if it's alright with you I'd like you to stay and fight. You're much too multiskilled to be away from it." He gave a gentle nod to Grace. She nodded grimly and sat back down. Edmund wrapped an arm around her waist protectively.