5| Post London Happenings

It was well after dark and the rain was hammering down two days after the four had got back from London. Mollie May and the boys were still recovering from the terrible hangovers which clouded over their heads.

Polly had opened the letter which came for Tommy from Camden Town. Her and Mollie May were in the safe counting the money made from the day and before Polly had even read the message, Mollie May knew it was from Solomons.

Polly was furious. She burst into a ball of anger and cursed Tommy and his ridiculous plan that would surely get everyone killed. Mollie May watched from her chair at the desk, her headache still dull and throbbing as the older woman marched up and down the room. As Polly raged on to the young woman, that was clearly no longer listening, Mollie May vowed never to do anything to annoy Polly if it brought this wrath onto her. That, she thought, would probably not be the best way to die.

And that was just the start of the terrible evening. Once Arthur had opened his big, drunk mouth about his medicine, Polly exploded again. For the second time that evening Mollie May found herself praying that her godmother found nothing to hold against her as she sighed at Arthur's horrified face as he realised what he had started. He slipped out of the house quietly, leaving Mollie May alone with Polly.

"That's it!" Polly concluded, "I've had enough of Tommy and his fucking games!" she stalked out of the safe and grabbed her coat, Mollie May following to see what she was going to do. "I'm going to go and talk to Thomas." and the door slammed behind her.

"God rest his soul." Mollie May muttered as she slumped back into the chair. With not much else to do, she rested her head in her arms. The clock in the gambling den ticked loudly and the smell of smoke and alcohol seemed to have seeped into the tables, chairs and walls. She sniffed as her eyes got heavier and her breathing fell back into a steady rhythm.

She imagined Tommy sitting in his office as Polly stormed through the doors. The scowl on her face. The drink in his hand.

The people falling at his feet in London. The bang of the shotgun. The low laugh the slid from Arthurs lips in Sabini's club.

The bomb at the Garrison. The green confetti which shone above the black debris.

The ticking of the clock seemed to get quieter and quieter until she could hear it no longer. Her thoughts taking a random left turn onto a small gravel path in the middle of an open field. A black stallion raced towards her. It came right up to her and she ran her hand along its long mane.

"Shut up, she's asleep." The horse spoke to her. She looked at it but didn't seem to find it strange in her dream world.

The trees which had sprung from nowhere, started to turn a weird shade of blue as she galloped into a forest on the stallion who continued to speak to her about waking someone up.

"I wonder could I move her to the Garrison without waking her up?" "John, shut up." Another voice spoke from the trees.

"What? Image her waking up in the Garrison. She'd have no clue." The horse and forest started to fade and she gradually became aware that her head was resting in her arms. The ticking of the clock coming back into earshot.

"Now you've gone and done it Arthur, you've woken her ladyship." John announced as he seen Mollie May stretch.

John was standing against one of the tables in the gambling den, his hand against his chin. Arthur was opposite him and Polly sat at the table next to Finn, smoking a cigarette, with an annoyed look on her face.

Mollie May got up and walked over to them, "Where you waiting for me to wake up?" John smirked, "Yeah, we were all watching you. We were gonna try and see if you'd wake up from us staring at you."