11| The Plan in Action

The first thing she became aware of was the soft pillow under her head, then the warm blanket over her. Next the dull, throbbing pain in her wrist.

She slowly opened her eyes, only to squint when light flooded in from the window. Someone was sitting in the wooden chair across from her bed, head back against the wall, asleep.

As she moved to sit up a sharp pain shot through her side which made her gasp and clutch her side with her good hand. She lay down again and looked over to the person in the chair.

"Finn." she whispered to him. He groaned in response.

"Finn." she whispered louder. This time he rubbed his eyes and yawned, sitting up in the chair. A grin spread wide across his face when he seen Mollie May awake. A hundred questions raced through his head.

"Do you've any snow?" When he hesitated she rushed to the reason. "For the pain, Finn. Please." He took out a small blue bottle and helped her sit up, before watching her snort it with an uncomfortable expression.

She exhaled loudly and rested her head against the wall, closing her eyes while waiting for the pain to fade. She opened her eyes again to see Finn watching her closely and smiled to him. "You didn't have a problem giving it to Arthur." "That's Arthur. He's different."

"I can handle it. You don't have to worry about me." Finn smirked, "Famous last words." She glared at him and he held up his hands in mock surrender. "It's only because I care." "And you don't about Arthur." Finn looked at her with a sad look, "You know what I mean."

The two fell into silence as Mollie May cursed at her stupidity. She searched for something else to ask him and landed on it immediately, "Where is everybody? What's happening?"

"John's away to see Arthur who's in prison. Tommy to see May Carleton about his racehorse. Tommy has a plan; he says he's going to come and see you later on to fill you in. And also, for you to fill him in."

Mollie nodded and Finn ran his fingers through his hair, putting his head in his hands. "Are you alright?" He asked her quietly. "What happened?"

"It was Sabini. He and some of his men got into the Eden Club, took control of it. They killed everyone but took me." "Why?" Finn asked confused.

"They thought I was your sister. Whoever Sabini got his information from, must have assumed we were all family." "We are family." Finn interjected.

"We're not blood though Finn. That's what I meant." Finn nodded sadly, dropping his gaze and a pang of guilt ricocheted around her heart. "Hey, you're more family to me than my blood family ever was." An unstoppable smile spread across Finn's face as he looked up at her.

"I'm gonna try and get some more sleep. I'll talk to you later, okay." He reached over to give her a small, loose hug. Not squeezing her too tightly in case he hurt her. He breathed her in, smelling the familiar smell of vanilla and clean cotton sheets which comforted him immediately.

She screamed and jolted awake. Wiping the cold sweat from her forehead as Polly and Tommy rushed in. "I'm alright. I'm alright." she breathed as she struggled to sit up. "Nightmare." she muttered as Pol sat down in the chair at her side.

"Where you just waiting downstairs?" she asked embarrassed. "We were waiting for you to wake. We have to talk to you." Polly replied.

Tommy paced at the foot of her bed. "What's wrong?" She asked him, looking to Polly with fear rising in her throat.