VII - The Dawn of the First Day

The Dawn of the First Day

Wednesday, September 2, 1942

Holly woke up that morning ruminating about the strangest dream she ever had in her life. It was so real and related to Time Travel, she being sorted in Slytherin, an awkward conversation with Babymort, who even winked at her! She was still half asleep thinking about everything that happened, staring at the ceiling. A ceiling made of stone, so different from the one in Gryffindor where she used to sleep.

She blinked. Twice.

She turned her face, eyes roaming over the room. The walls made in stone, furniture decorated in details of green and silver as much as the bed covers.

'Merlin's balls... it wasn't a dream at all!'

Holly was alone in the room, she glanced at an old clock hanging on the wall indicating it's already 7:30, meaning the breakfast already started and she had to hurry because it was the first day of classes!

The witch dressed herself in a hurry, her shirt unbuttoned on top, the tie loose. She took the bag with all her new books and school materials enchanted with Extension and Feather-light charms just the night before. Magic made everything so practical! She cleaned her face at the bathroom and tried to tame the wild mess her hair was at mornings as fast as she could.

Holly rushed to the Common Room, read the password of the day on the bulletin board and ran straight forward to the Great Hall. Most of her new housemates ignored her as her dress code was worse than the night before, some of them greeted her with sneers of disapproval. She found herself fondly amused by her own natural ability of upsetting Slytherins so early in the morning.

Holly sat down near the first years. She bit a toast and almost choked in surprise glancing at a boy sitting across from her. He stared at her with horror on his pale blue eyes, the pale blond hair and shape of his face almost a mirror of the Malfoy she met at her first year, only slightly delicate. Holly was almost sure the mini Malfoy in front of her was Draco's grandfather or great grandfather.

'Bloody hell! He is so cute!' Holly remembered how she loathed Draco since their first year, and even considering him handsome, being in the same age as him she only wanted to punch his face. In the eyes of a teenager looking a child, she felt the urge to pinch and squeeze his cheeks even if just to torment him, specially because he scrunched up his nose as if smelling something putrid. The boy seemed a bit shorter than her, fact that will most likely end in a year or two. She couldn't help herself but smile at him. She never expected him to suddenly avert his gaze with his ears and cheeks flushed in a strong tone of pink.

Holly ate her breakfast quickly, more composed than yesterday and not like a caveman.

At 8:30 the prefects started handing the schedules for the students. Tom Riddle was the one who gave Holly hers.

"We will have double potions first. It will be in the dungeons, you just need to follow me and our other classmates." He smiled politely at her. If Tom was horrified with her dressing code, he didn't let it shown.

Holly beamed. "Double potions on our first day? Maybe I can teach you a thing or two," She smiled mischievously at Tom, teasing him the same way he did the previous night. The Slytherins near them seemed to tense and an awkward silence fell on the table.

Tom eyed her with a knowing look and smirked maliciously. "Well, if a cute girl is so eager to teach me things, how can I refuse?"

Some first years snorted and some girls muffled their giggles. The older boys who were paying attention, snickered. Holly felt her face redden. The son of a bitch distorted her words completely. She opened her mouth stupidly like a gaping fish, watching mirth dancing in his dark eyes. Tom returned to his task, giving the schedules to the first and second year students.