FIRST YEAR: the journey to hogwarts

As Harry sat in his compartment, one of the red-headed boys he saw outside came in. It was the youngest of the brothers.

"Anyone sitting there?" he asked, pointing at the empty seat across from Harry. "Everywhere else is full."

Harry shook his head and the boy came in and sat down. He looked at Harry and then quickly out of the window pretending he hadn't. After a few minutes, the twins came back.

"Hey Ron," said one of them. "Listen, we're going down the middle of the train- Lee Jordan's got a giant tarantula down there and Hope's there too. You know how she gets around any kind of insect. Especially spiders."

"Right," mumbled Ron.

"Harry," said the other twin, "did we introduce ourselves? Fred and George Weasley and this is Ron, our brother. Well then, see you later."

"Bye," said Harry and Ron as the twins slid the compartment door shut.

"Are you really Harry Potter?" Ron suddenly blurred out.

Harry looked at him and then slowly nodded his head.

"Oh- well, I thought it was another one of Fred and George's jokes," said Ron. "And have you really have the- you know..."

"The scar?" said Harry as Ron pointed at his forehead.

Ron nodded and Harry moved his fringe on one side to show him the lightening-shaped scar.

"Wicked. So that's where You-Know-Who-"

"Yeah, but i can't remember."

"Nothing?" said Ron eagerly.

"Well- I remember a lot of green light, but that's all."

"Wow." Ron stared at Harry for a long moment, before quickly looking out of the window again, probably realizing what he was doing.

"Are all your family wizards?" asked Harry who found him just as interesting as Ron found him.

"Er- yes, at least I think so," said Ron. "I think mom's got an accountant cousin, but we never talk about him."

"So you gotta know lots of magic."

The Weasleys were clearly one of those old wizarding families the pale boy from Diagon Alley had talked about.

"I heard you went off to live with Muggles," said Ron "What are they like?"

"Horrible- well, not all of them," corrected Harry. "My uncle, aunt and cousin are though. I wish I'd had three wizard brothers."

"Five," said Ron. "I'm the youngest to go to Hogwarts. I also have a younger sister, but she will go next year. Bill and Charlie already finished- Bill was Head Boy and Charlie was captain of the Quidditch team. Percy's a Prefect and Fred and George mess around a lot, but they've got really good marks and everyone thinks they are terribly funny," said Ron. "Not so much when you are one of their prank's victim. They always do that to me and Ginny -'cause we are the youngest- and to Percy -'cause he's a prick. I could never understand that. They've got a friend -Hope- who's my age, but they never do anything to her. Can you believe it? Anyway, because of that everyone expects me to do as well as them, but it wouldn't matter anyway because they did it first." said Ron mournfully. "You never get anything new either: I've got Bill's old robe, Charlie's old wand, and Percy's old rat-"

As he said this he pulled out of his jacked a fat grey rat that looked dead.

"He's Scabbers and he's useless," continued Ron. "All he does is sleep. I've got him now because mom bought Percy an owl and she couldn't affo-"

Ron suddenly stopped and his cheeks brightened with color. Harry didn't understand why he was so embarrassed about not being able to afford something. His whole life he wasn't able to afford anything, so the money thing was new to him too. As he told that to Ron he seemed to cheer up a bit.

For about an hour or so they talk about a lot of things, especially their families. Ron also told him a lot about the girl, Hope, that had been friends with them for about as long as he could remember. Between the twins and their pranks, she seemed to be the voice of reason even if she was eleven.

Around half-past twelve, -after he bought a lot of sweets from the trolley- a boy named Neville came looking for his toad and after that, a bushy girl named Hermione came looking for it as well. She seemed very knowledgeable about magic -even if her parents weren't wizards- and also talked very fast and a lot, which seemed to annoy Ron greatly. Harry couldn't blame him, he felt very stupid himself just by standing beside her. She told them to get on their robes because they were almost at their destination and then left.

Then a mean boy came -the pale boy he med in Diagon Alley- named Draco, with a boy on each side of him -with names Harry already forgot- who wanted to befriend him, but Harry already decided he didn't like him very much as with every chance he got he insulted Ron and his family. Right then, the train stopped and Harry was almost thrown on Ron by the force of it. They were at Hogwarts.

•••

To say Hope was amazed, was an understatement. She heard about Hogwarts, -of course she heard- but those descriptions couldn't compare with the real thing. Both her parents went to Hogwarts and they told her stories after stories about their years there, but now she was here. And it was amazing.

After she got off the train and bid the twins goodbye -seeing as they were third years- she stared with an awed expression towards the castle.

Hogwarts Castle was a large, seven-story high building supported by magic, as she was taught, with a hundred and forty-two staircases throughout its many towers and turrets and very deep dungeons.

She was really excited to enter the castle, but was also a bit bummed out about not being able to reach the grounds with Fred and George, seeing as first years are accompanied by the Keeper of Keys and Grounds (or another suitable teacher if they are absent), along a shady path that leads to a fleet of small boats, which sail themselves across the Black Lake before arriving at a small landing stage near the base of Hogwarts Castle.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid, -she learned his name from Fred and George- who was checking the boats as people climbed out of them.

"Trevor!" cried a round-faced boy blissfully, holding out his hands.

Then they clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last on to smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle. They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door.

"Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?"

Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

•••

My first Harry Potter fanfic. This will be a hard one. I find Fred and George one of the most complicated characters to write, so it'll be hard (also they are one of my favorite characters, so I'll try my best, but don't put your hopes in me too much). Also, what house do you guys think Hope will be in?