new year

An hour later, they headed for Flourish and Blotts. They were by no means the only ones making their way to the bookshop. As they approached it, they saw to their surprise a large crowd jostling outside the doors, trying to get in. The reason for this was proclaimed by a large banner stretched across the upper windows:

GILDEROY LOCKHART will be signing copies of his autobiography MAGICAL ME today 12:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.

The crowd seemed to be made up mostly of witches around Mrs. Weasley's age. A harassed-looking wizard stood at the door , saying, "Calmly, please, ladies.... Don't push, there... mind the books, now...."

Finally, Fred, George and Hope, managed to squeezed inside. A long line wound right to the back of the shop, where Gilderoy Lockhart was signing his books. Each of them took what books were required of them that were written by Lockhart, and wound up behind the other Weasleys and Mr. and Mrs. Granger.

After seeing that they were alright, the only thing Mrs. Weasley talked about was how wonderful Gilderoy Lockhart was. How smart, handsome and charming he was, things that Hope could not see at all in him. He didn't seem very smart -Fred had told her that he smiled so much so that people would not be able to see how stupid he really is and she very much agreed with him. She did not think that he was handsome either -she thought that Fred and George were handsome (and immediately blushed at this thought), so, for her, Lockhart could not even come close to them.

After awhile Harry, Ron and Hermione wound up behind them as well.

"Oh, there you are, good," said Mrs. Weasley. She sounded breathless and kept patting her hair. "We'll be able to see him in a minute...."

Gilderoy Lockhart came slowly into view, seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd. The real Lockhart was wearing robes of forget-me-not blue that exactly matched his eyes; his pointed wizard's hat was set at a jaunty angle on his wavy hair.

A short, irritable-looking man was dancing around taking photographs with a large black camera that emitted puffs of purple smoke with every blinding flash.

"Out of the way, there," he snarled at Ron, moving back to get a better shot. "This is for the Daily Prophet -"

"Big deal ," said Ron, rubbing his foot where the photographer had stepped on it.

Gilderoy Lockhart heard him. He looked up. He saw Ron - and then he saw Harry. He stared. Then he leapt to his feet and positively shouted, "It can't be Harry Potter?"

"Oh dear..." huffed Hope with an exasperated sigh.

The crowd parted, whispering excitedly; Lockhart dived forward, seized Harry's arm, and pulled him to the front. The crowd burst into applause.

Harry's face burned as Lockhart shook his hand for the photographer, who was clicking away madly, wafting thick smoke over the Weasleys.

"Uh- I can't bear this- wanna get out of here?" shouted Fred at Hope and George over the noise. She could hardly here anything over their applause, so George answered for her too.

"If only we could. I expect mom wouldn't be so forgiving the next time we set the house on fire. We can't show disrespect to her lover."

She could hardly hear anything, but she was glad Mrs. Weasley couldn't hear anything at all of what the boys were saying. She didn't expect them to live through that.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said Gilderoy loudly, waving for quiet. "What an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time! When young Harry here stepped into Flourish and Blotts today, he only wanted to buy my autobiography - which I shall be happy to present him now, free of charge-"