the sorting ceremony

As the massive oak doors swung open, in front of them appeared a tall black-haired woman in green robes. She had a stern face and she remembered Fred and George talking about her- Professor McGonagall if she wasn't mistaken.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

As she said this, she turned and pulled the door wide. In front of them was a wide marble staircase and all the walls around them were lit with flaming torches.

As they followed Professor McGonagall, Hope wondered about all the things around her. She heard a buzzing of voices from the right and as she looked she saw huge double doors leading towards where, she guessed, the rest of the students were. Fred and George already told her how the ceremony went so she wasn't scared, but that didn't mean she wasn't nervous. Oh, no, she was far from calm and she was almost buzzing with nerves. What house she will be put in? (She hoped in Gryffindor with Fred and George) Will the other students like her? Will she do good in her studies?

As she thought about all these, Professor McGonagall led them into a small, empty chamber off the hall. They crowded in standing rather close together than she would have thought comfortable.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-​of-​term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

As Professor McGonagall finished her speech, Hope tidied her robe as it was crumpled and fixed her braid a bit as to not seem so ruffled.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly."

As she left the chamber, Hope heard by her right a jet-black haired boy with glasses ask:

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?"

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking."

As she heard the answer she immediately recognized Ron and went to say hello when something happened that made her jump as several people behind her screamed.

"What the-?" he gasped.

So did the people around him. About twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. Pearly-​white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly glancing at the first years. They seemed to be arguing. What looked like a fat little monk was saying:

"Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance-"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost- I say, what are you all doing here?"

A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years. Nobody answered.

"New students!" said the Fat Friar, smiling around at them. "About to be Sorted, I suppose?"