start of term

If Hope was worrying a night ago about whether she and the twins will still remain friends, she needn't have worried.

The next day it was Monday, so no day for accommodating.

As she woke up, she quickly dressed up and realised that she wasn't late to anything as the girls she shared the dormitory with were just waking up themselves. As they all were ready for the day, they also got to know each other. Hope was only sharing the room with just three other girls, in her year, of course. She learned their names to be Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones -the one she sat beside at the table-, Megan Jones and Leanne Dutton.

She looked over her schedule for the day as she sat in her bed. Today she had two Transfiguration classes, one of Herbology and one of Potions. As she looked over the schedule for the other days, she realised she shared all her Herbology classes with Gryffindor and all her Potions and Flying classes with Ravenclaw.

Thought, with a bummed out expression, she saw that she didn't share any class with Slytherin. She found sharing classes with other houses exciting and thought that, this way, she will be able to make more friends, and not just in her house.

With this thought in mind, she got up from her bed and made her way outside and into the common room.

Because last night everyone was exhausted from the ride to Hogwarts and then because of the ceremony and the room was quite dark, she didn't really looked around to inspect it. But as she stepped inside, she was surprised to see how comfortable and warm the room looked.

The room was round, earthy, low-ceilinged, welcoming, warm, and sunny. There were lots of yellow hangings, burnished copper, and overstuffed sofas and armchairs upholstered in yellow and black, and -as she made her way to the windows- small circular windows that provide a vista of "rippling grass and dandelions".

There was also a large, honey coloured, wooden mantelpiece with carvings of badgers on it that was located underneath a portrait of the house's founder, Helga Hufflepuff.

She knew the head of house was Pomona Sprout, who was also teaching Herbology, and she thought that was the reason many interesting plants were decorating the room (some of which were dancing, talking, or waving), placed on the windowsills or hanging from the ceiling. Various cactii were standing on wooden circular shelves that were curved to fit the walls, and copper-bottomed plant holders were dangling amid the ceiling with ferns and ivies.

She heard from her mother saying that the Hufflepuff common room was 'the cosiest common room of them all'. Hope didn't know how the other common rooms looked, but she couldn't imagine a cozier room.

As she came out of the common room she found two redheads waiting for her just outside the basement.

"Hope! We were waiting for you for hours! What took you so long?" asked one of the twins leaning on one of the barrels outside the room.

"Fancy you are right beside the kitchen. You can sneak outside whenever you want for a quick midnight snack."

"No Fred, you know it's not good to eat at night and-"

"You didn't seem that concerned about that when you were with us."

Hope blushed and looked away.

"That was something else. Once or twice doesn't hurt anybody," she said with a pout.

"Once-"

"Twice-"

"Thrice-"

"Frice-"

"That word doesn't even exist George," she interrupted them, annoyed by their teasing. "And it didn't even happen that many times," she said puffing her cheeks.