Chapter 5

• Dedicated to Stephanie Meyer

Chapter 5: Night Is For Vampires

Sethius came over to me after he had finished talking to Franny. “What was that all about?” I asked quietly, hurt that I was not allowed to hear the conversation. He shook his head “Nothing important.” He whispered back. His eyes were firmly planted on Francesca. Paler than ever, Sethius smiled at me weakly then meandered over to the other vampires who were sitting at the main table in the living room. It felt nice to have a family that not only knew my secret but also shared it. I was still unhappy that I had to leave both my Mum and Dad. Poor Dad, it wasn’t his fault he couldn’t tell me that he divorced and remarried. I shouldn’t have taken it out on him.

I decided to fix my life. I hurried over to my petulant, sullen x-friend.

“I am sorry but if you do not want to be my friend at least don’t be so superior.” I said under my breath.

Taken aback by my abrupt change of attitude, she apologised and said that ever since the accident, she hasn’t felt herself and that she is still my friend. I beamed, hugged her, turned on my foot, and sprinted down the street towards Mum’s house. Before long, I began to feel dizzy. My feet gave way and I was on the footpath, unable to move.

“Sethius?” I yelled. Even though I was venomous monster, I was helpless. Everything was blurry. My life flashed before my eyes again.

“I let you out of my sight for a couple of minutes and you go outside during ‘the hour’?” I woke up to Sethius’s trembling voice.

“I thought vampires couldn’t sleep and what is ‘the hour’?” I queried curiously.

“Dude, night is for vampires. You were not sleeping, you passed out. ‘The hour’ (12am-1am in the morning) is the hour which vampires cannot go outside without becoming invisible to humans and if you are not at least one month old with the whole vampire thing then you pass out or worse, die.”

I gasped. This was a lot of information for me to digest. In a week I could be invisible during ‘the hour’. I was looking forward to this. Franny was a month old from today, apparently since I slept after the fight for about a week.

Days passed and Sethius and I grew closer and closer. If it wasn’t for his ‘girlfriend’, he and I would be a little closer. That day when Sethius looked like he knew something that he couldn’t tell me, struck my reminiscence again. I deliberated the thought of something happening that involved me, but Sethius would never keep something from me; would he? I decided to ask him.

“Sethius,” I walked into the living room. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

He was on the couch with Fran. She was curled up in his lap and they were smooching wildly. “EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!” I protested, “GET A ROOM!!!!!”

My heart slowly broke in half. I thought he loved ME. That was supposed to be ME in his lap, canoodling.

“Riley, I’m so sorry.” He said.

Tears flooded down my face. I looked at my feet, embarrassed at seeing them kissing. Despite the fact I had very strong, mixed emotions such as anger, hatred, sadness, disappointment and jealousy; I discovered the reason what and why he couldn’t tell me. The truth was crystal clear; Franny was the ‘girlfriend’ he told me about. I left the room in disgust, hoping I could forget about him but every time I closed my eyes I saw him.

I needed to get out of the house. I looked at my watch; it was one minute until ‘the hour’ was finished. I looked at the calendar; this time tomorrow, I would be able to go outside in ‘the hour’. I put on my black, just above my knee length dress, a black, leather jacket and my shiny, silver, gladiator sandals. I placed my phone, iPod, wallet and tissues in my frilly, silver handbag I bought from Gucci, applied some waterproof mascara, eyeliner and lipstick. This took one whole minute so I marched out the door. My eyes were puffy, my cheeks were swollen, my hair was in the messiest bun I had ever witnessed, and overall I was a downright and total mess.

Lucky my makeup was waterproof because as soon as I did leave the house, I burst into tears again. Serve me right to walk in on Sethius without knocking. But why was he in the lounge room for anyone to see? Yet another question to be answered. I walked down the road to the bar that was always open. I ambled in, looking around to see if any of Sethius’s gang was there.  The coast was clear so I sat down at one of the benches at the bar.