Chapter 7

• Dedicated to Stephanie Meyer

Chapter 7: Hostage

Feeling as small as a rat compared to my elephant brother, he helped me to the door.

“Go outside, I’ll meet you at the car park.” He demanded.

I bobbed my head a couple of times and sprinted as far as I could. I flew down the stairs, found Vladimir’s car and waited on the bench beside it. A cool breeze was blowing. The clouds were darkening. A black van pulled into the park next to Vladimir’s car. Shivers ran down my spine. I could sense something wasn’t quite right. I felt like something drastic was going to happen. I watched as men in black leather jackets hopped out of the van.

One of the men stood there with a gun in his hand pointed directly at me. My heart started racing in fear of what was about to happen. The metal from the barrel glinted brightly into my eyes like a light at the end of a tunnel. I heard the silent click as the man took the safety off. I started to panic, forgetting to even breathe as I stared helplessly at the man who would end my life. His eyes were like a demon's, fiery and full of hatred. His lips were slightly curved up, knowing he had full control of my life. I wanted to run, to hide, and to wish this was just a dream. I started to think of all the things I would leave behind. My family, my friends, everyone I loved. My body started to quiver from the pure adrenaline coursing through my veins. Everything seemed to move slowly so even a few seconds seemed like years.

Vladimir ran in front of me as the guy pulled the trigger.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I yelled.

I watched in horror as the silver bullet stood in front of his eyes. Silver ammunitions were the only type of bullet that could kill a vampire! I closed my eyes and tried not to listen to the screams coming from my dying step-brother. The men in the black jackets fled from the scene in fear of being caught by the police or ambulance that I had called. At least I had remembered their number plate: vampkiller3688. Typical, I thought. Someone was calling my name. I looked around. No one was there. I held Vladimir’s hand tightly. “Riley,” I heard it again.

A brown sack covered my head. Everything echoed.  It was her, the dazzling vampire, the master of all vampires.

I ripped through the sack and ran. I couldn't let her find me. My bare feet scraped and blistered on the endless stones and rocks. I could feel her catching up with me. I pushed myself to go further. Suddenly, my foot caught up with a small sharp stone on the pavement. My body plummeted into the ground. The force of my stomach faltering against the pavement made me scream in redemption. A trickle of blue blood ran along a deep wound embedded on my skin. I could feel her leaning over my lifeless body, ready to sink her teeth into the arch of my throat. A different sack was pulled over my head; dark and stuffy. Here we go again. My feet stung and throbbed so much; I couldn’t even try to consider escaping.

I was isolated.

“Vladimir? Sethius? Fran?” I screamed.

No one was there; just me and the shadows awaiting me as their next victim. I appeared to be trapped in a cage; large but quarantined. I could sense movement amongst the indistinctness. Then she collapsed into my arms.

“OH MY GOD!” She bobbed her head and squeezed me tighter. “MUM?”

“Yeah honey,” She whispered, “It’s me.”

Her eyes twinkled ruby in the dim glow of the torches held by the guards.

“I’m so sorry.” I hesitated.

She sighed and nodded.

Suddenly, the security officer shot my Mum with a silver bullet.

“Stop talking!” He snapped.

“Well now I won’t be.” I retorted.

He shot me with a silver bullet.

“That’ll teach you.” He barked.

I groaned. I could see blood seeping out of my Mum’s injury; red and oozing. I was confused. If she was a vampire then how come her blood was red? This didn’t make sense. Only the master of all vampires had red blood and was still a vampire. No way. She couldn’t be.

My Mum was the master of all vampires? But that just didn’t make sense. This means she was a shape shifter. She could hide any characteristic of a vampire she wanted. But why? Would this bring the end to my life and hers? I decided to ask.

“Are you the master of all vampires?” She groaned.

Her breathing decreased; lifeless, unconscious and comatose. I would never know; she was dead. The bullet still in my head; I passed out. I didn’t know how much longer I would live but what I did know was that Mum dying was for the best.