Chapter 8

• Dedicated to Stephanie Meyer

Chapter 8: Saved By Who?

It wasn’t long before I was rescued. I didn’t know where I was; I didn’t know who saved me. The only thing I did know was that I was thirsty for blood and that I wasn’t guaranteed to be safe with whoever it was and neither were they. Everything was obscure except for a very dim light coming from a window that was 3m above the ground; just out of my reach. A muffled whistling sound was shrill in my ears. Was I moving? Was I on a train?

“Someone?” I yelled, “Anybody?”

I thought I was alone in this mysterious darkness when whimpering, lachrymose and grumbling figures surrounded me. I prepared for the worst as they crept closer, getting louder as time went on. A light from the window gleamed down. With blood stains all over them, the zombies slunk nearer and nearer.

I couldn’t speak; I couldn’t breathe; I couldn’t blink. As helpless as a baby, I stood there, paralysed. When I looked closer, I realised who they were; Sethius’s gang. Most of them were half-dead. They were machines. This was starting to creep me out.

“Guys?” I panicked.

I examined the automatons carefully; this was a test to see if they could talk. No response. Well, that’s helpful. I couldn’t even communicate with them. How was I supposed to survive if they couldn’t speak?

 I decided to put my vampire skills to use. I scaled the walls like a monkey. I never knew I could do this; if I did I wouldn’t have been in all this mess. It was almost if I had glue on my hands. Using my head, I smashed through the window; 3m above the ground. I flew through the air like a bird. I landed two seconds later on my face in the middle of a pile of dirt.

Wiping the muck from my face, I picked myself up. I looked behind me. The train whooshed past me, whistling one last time before rocketing into the distance. I breathed a sigh of relief. I stared at the sign on the side of the road. It said:

Muyleigh 500m

Zasidworth 550m

Boorburhiny 1000m

I decided to hitch a ride to Muyleigh where I could find a hotel to pass the night, but not sleep. For an hour I stood there, about to give up hope. All of a sudden, a loud engine; the flamboyant screeching of wheels on a Mercedes Benz; loud Ke$ha music.

“SETHIUS?” I squealed as he pulled over.

I was saved, again. Hopefully this was the last time that I would need to be.

He pulled me in as quickly as he came and then he left.

“I thought you were-” I wasn’t given time to finish because he cut me off, signalling for me to shut up.

The message got through to me soon enough. The awkward silence that followed was caused by the line of traffic up ahead, the hand signals of my friend and the unsuitable lyrics to a Ke$ha song.

“Where were you?” I muttered under my breath when he had finished glaring into the side mirror. He didn’t answer. What was his problem? Whatever it was, it was bothering him really badly. I opened my mouth to speak when suddenly the unexpected happened: he pulled over.

“Where are we?” I asked, looking around me. We were in the city. Lots of people; lots of smoke; lots of couples smooching.

He finally spoke, “Shut up and kiss me.”

“But Sethius, your girlfriend?” I argued.

He shook his head.

We found a hotel and stayed there even though we couldn’t sleep.